Em formação

Foram os ingleses por trás da criação da Bélgica? [duplicado]


Outro dia li um artigo em um jornal impresso que explicava que os britânicos tinham uma tradição de tentar quebrar qualquer potência continental (links para notícias recentes não são uma coincidência).

Entre os exemplos fornecidos, o autor argumentou que (parafraseando ... e traduzindo)

A Bélgica foi criada pelos britânicos para impedir que a França tivesse acesso aos portos no norte da Europa, em particular Antuérpia (Anvers).

Agora, foi meu entendimento que Begium resultou do (de fato no final do século 16 e de jure no final dos anos 80 (guerras em meados do século 17) separação dos Países Baixos das Terras Baixas espanholas.

Naquela época, os ingleses tinham outras coisas a fazer (como preparar uma guerra civil), e a França parecia menos uma ameaça do que os espanhóis (mesmo que estivessem em uma ladeira descendente).

Eu sei que no final do século 17, a França de Luís XIV travou guerras regulares na região, em particular contra a Holanda, e que os dois fizeram algum tipo de jogo "engraçado" com a Inglaterra do pós-guerra civil.

Mais tarde, a Bélgica foi incluída no Império Francês de 1793 a 1815.

Não sei a que horas o autor se refere, mas existe alguma documentação que indique um forte apoio da Inglaterra à criação da Bélgica para contrariar os franceses?


Eu estou ciente da questão

O que levou à criação da Bélgica?

Mas, se isso explica as diferentes etapas da criação da Bélgica, nada é fornecido quanto às especificidades da minha pergunta, a saber, a possível implicação da Grã-Bretanha e a influência econômica da França.


Em 1830, a Holanda era uma potência menor, não uma grande potência. A Holanda foi rival da Inglaterra em meados do século 17, mas no início do século 19 não era rival do Reino Unido. Inglaterra, Grã-Bretanha e Reino Unido não gostavam de grandes potências controlando os portos mais próximos no que hoje é a Bélgica.

A Holanda do século 19 não era uma grande potência, então a Inglaterra não tinha motivos para separá-la. Quando a Bélgica se revoltou Os líderes do Reino Unido pensaram que isso era bom para o Reino Unido porque o poder que controlava os portos seria agora ainda menor. No entanto, seria ruim para o Reino Unido se uma grande potência como a França conseguisse anexar a Bélgica.

Portanto, o interesse diplomático do Reino Unido era fazer o que pudesse por meio da diplomacia para apoiar a independência da Bélgica e se opor aos movimentos franceses de anexar qualquer parte da Bélgica.

Portanto, o Reino Unido não concebeu ou deu à luz a Bélgica, mas seus estadistas provavelmente estavam bastante dispostos a ser padrinhos e patrocinadores do batismo.


A Alemanha foi condenada na Primeira Guerra Mundial pelo Plano Schlieffen?

O Plano Schlieffen, elaborado uma década antes do início da Primeira Guerra Mundial, delineou uma estratégia para a Alemanha evitar combates nas frentes oriental e ocidental simultaneamente. Mas o que havia sido meticulosamente projetado para lidar com um ataque rápido & # x201Cright hook & # x201D contra a França e, em seguida, avançar sobre a Rússia, arrastou-se para se tornar uma guerra de desgaste brutal e feia.

& # x201CO Plano Schlieffen não funcionou porque era baseado em tudo dando certo e não tinha contingências para a névoa da guerra, & # x201D disse Peter Fritzsche, professor de história da Universidade de Illinois.

O Plano Schlieffen recebeu o nome de seu criador, o Conde Alfred von Schlieffen, que serviu como chefe do Estado-Maior Imperial Alemão de 1891 a 1906. O Conde Schlieffen elaborou a operação entre 1897 e 1905 após uma aliança estabelecida entre a Rússia e a França em 1891 significava que a Alemanha poderia enfrentar uma guerra em duas frentes.

O Plano Schlieffen presumia que a Rússia era lenta e a França fraca.

A estratégia de Schlieffen assumia que a Rússia, tendo recentemente perdido a Guerra Russo-Japonesa, levaria pelo menos seis semanas para mobilizar suas tropas e atacar a Alemanha pelo leste. Naquela época, a Alemanha faria um ataque à França marchando para o oeste através do território neutro da Holanda e da Bélgica.

Esta rota evitou a fronteira direta fortemente fortificada com a França. Em seguida, as forças alemãs se precipitariam para o sul, desferindo um golpe de martelo através de Flandres, Bélgica e em direção a Paris, envolvendo e esmagando as forças francesas em menos de 45 dias.

Uma vez que a França fosse derrotada, de acordo com o plano, a Alemanha poderia transportar seus soldados para o leste usando sua rede ferroviária e posicioná-los contra as tropas russas, que Schlieffen acreditava exigiria seis semanas para se mobilizar e atacar a fronteira leste da Alemanha.

Helmuth Johannes Ludwig Von Moltke, diretor de estratégia alemã da Primeira Guerra Mundial (Crédito: Bettmann Archive / Getty Images)

O Plano Schlieffen original foi posteriormente modificado por outros líderes militares.

O plano de Schlieffen foi adotado por Helmuth von Moltke, chefe do Estado-Maior Alemão & # xA0quando a guerra estourou em 1914. Moltke fez algumas modificações críticas no plano, incluindo a redução das forças alemãs fazendo o ataque com gancho de direita na França e invadindo a Bélgica , mas não a Holanda, durante a ofensiva inicial.

O problema, diz o professor Fritzsche, é que o projeto de Schlieffen se mostrou inflexível. Primeiro, a Bélgica recusou a passagem livre à Alemanha e lutou contra os soldados alemães que chegavam.

O exército inglês se envolveu imediatamente.

Além disso, a violação do território neutro da Bélgica atraiu a Inglaterra para a guerra, uma vez que eles haviam prometido defender a Bélgica sob o Tratado de Londres de 1839.

Depois de enfrentar uma resistência feroz na Bélgica e com soldados do Império Britânico na luta ao lado da França, a ofensiva rápida planejada da Alemanha foi desacelerada.

A primeira página do Birmingham Evening Despatch em 4 de agosto de 1914, quando a Grã-Bretanha declarou guerra à Alemanha. A Grã-Bretanha, liderada pelo primeiro-ministro Herbert Asquith, deu à Alemanha um ultimato para sair da Bélgica. (Crédito: Popperfoto / Getty Images)

A Rússia foi mais rápida em responder do que Schlieffen havia presumido.

A Rússia também provou ser mais hábil em mobilizar seu exército do que os líderes militares alemães esperavam. A Rússia conseguiu atacar a Prússia Oriental dentro de 10 dias em agosto de 1914 & # x2013, não seis semanas como se supôs anteriormente.

A ofensiva inicial russa foi derrotada, mas seus avanços levaram a Alemanha a enviar corpos da França para a Prússia Oriental, sangrando as forças da Alemanha na Frente Ocidental de mão de obra de combate essencial.

Os exércitos francês e inglês foram muito mais resistentes do que o esperado.

A estratégia do Plano Schlieffen & # x2019s exigia que a França fosse derrotada rapidamente & # x2013, mas isso não aconteceu. Esse fracasso levou a uma guerra de trincheiras sustentada na Frente Ocidental. Nessas batalhas terríveis de desgaste, como a Batalha do Somme e a Batalha de Verdun, as forças aliadas acabaram superando os alemães.

Como Moltke disse ao Kaiser Wilhem II depois que as exaustas forças alemãs foram derrotadas na Batalha do Marne, & # x201CSir, perdemos a guerra. & # X201D


A descoberta do Panzer

Os elementos da liderança do Panzer Group Kleist (sob o comando do general Paul Ludwig von Kleist) cruzaram o rio Meuse em 13 de maio. No dia seguinte, os alemães haviam rompido a linha do Canal Meuse-Albert em vigor e entraram na França logo a oeste de Sedan. O ataque implacável dos bombardeiros de mergulho Stuka abalou o moral dos defensores franceses neste setor. Os comandantes franceses acreditavam tão fortemente na impossibilidade de um ataque através das Ardenas que as tropas de lá careciam quase completamente de armas antitanque e armas antiaéreas. Por sua vez, a Linha Maginot não havia sido rompida. A penetração alemã havia ocorrido em uma extensão fraca da linha ao longo da fronteira belga, e as defesas que existiam lá eram mal tripuladas por tropas de menor qualidade. No entanto, a área que a linha deveria proteger havia sido invadida, o que, com o tempo, obrigou à evacuação da própria Linha Maginot.

Em 15 de maio, o XIX Corpo de Panzer de Heinz Guderian rompeu a linha francesa e rumou para o oeste em campo aberto. O ritmo do avanço era de tirar o fôlego e, para todos os padrões de guerra anteriores, era um desastre em formação. O saliente blindado alemão era estreito e seus flancos eram fracamente sustentados, se é que eram sustentados, com sua ponta a cerca de 150 milhas (mais de 240 km) do corpo principal do avanço alemão. Ao norte ficava todo o exército belga, a maior parte da Força Expedicionária Britânica (BEF) e pelo menos dois exércitos franceses, totalizando quase um milhão de homens, enquanto o restante do exército francês ficava atrás e ao sul deles. Na verdade, os superiores de Guderian tentaram retardar seu progresso para permitir a consolidação de forças, mas ele percebeu a importância de manter seu ímpeto. Caracterizando seu avanço contínuo como “reconhecimento em força”, Guderian continuou. Em 17 de maio, Guderian cruzou o rio Oise e entrou no vale do Somme, descendo rapidamente até a foz em Abbeville. Ao chegar ao Canal da Mancha em 20 de maio, Guderian havia efetivamente cortado as comunicações entre as forças aliadas ao norte e ao sul. Ele fez uma breve pausa para permitir que unidades mecanizadas alemãs reforçassem seu flanco ao longo do Somme antes de virar para o norte para ameaçar os portos de Calais e Dunquerque no Canal da Mancha em 22 de maio.

Outras unidades alemãs tiveram sucessos semelhantes. A 7ª Divisão Panzer do general Erwin Rommel cruzou o Meuse perto de Dinant, Bélgica, em 13 de maio e rapidamente estabeleceu uma cabeça de ponte na margem ocidental. Em 15 de maio, o XLI Panzer Corps do general Georg-Hans Reinhardt forçou uma travessia do Meuse em Monthermé e quebrou a linha francesa. Rommel e Reinhardt rumaram para o oeste, rumo ao campo aberto. Junto com Guderian, eles abriram uma brecha de 60 milhas (quase 100 km) de largura nas defesas francesas. A divisão de Rommel avançou tão rapidamente que só conseguiu manter comunicação esporádica com o Oberkommando des Heeres (Alto Comando do Exército OKH), levando-a a ser apelidada de "divisão fantasma" tanto pelos alemães quanto pelos franceses; nenhum deles podia ter certeza de onde Rommel estava ou onde ele iria atacar a seguir. Enquanto isso, a corporação de Reinhardt se aproximou dos portos do Canal ao sul da retaguarda britânica em Arras.


A verdadeira história dos Monuments Men

Capitão Robert Posey e Pfc. Lincoln Kirstein foi o primeiro a atravessar a pequena lacuna nos escombros que bloqueavam a antiga mina de sal em Altausee, no alto dos Alpes austríacos em 1945, quando a Segunda Guerra Mundial chegou ao fim em maio de 1945. Eles passaram por uma câmara lateral no ar úmido e frio e entrou em um segundo, as chamas de suas lâmpadas guiando o caminho.

Conteúdo Relacionado

Lá, apoiados em caixas de papelão vazias a trinta centímetros do chão, estavam oito painéis de A Adoração do Cordeiro de Jan van Eyck, considerada uma das obras-primas da arte europeia do século XV. Em um painel do retábulo, a Virgem Maria, usando uma coroa de flores, lê um livro.

"As joias milagrosas da Virgem Coroada pareciam atrair a luz de nossas lâmpadas de acetileno tremeluzentes", escreveu Kirstein mais tarde. "Calmo e bonito, o retábulo estava, simplesmente, ali."

Kirstein e Posey eram dois membros da seção de Monumentos, Belas Artes e Arquivos dos Aliados, um pequeno corpo formado principalmente por homens de meia-idade e algumas mulheres que interromperam carreiras como historiadores, arquitetos, curadores de museus e professores para mitigar os danos de combate. Eles encontraram e recuperaram inúmeras obras de arte roubadas pelos nazistas.

Seu trabalho foi amplamente esquecido pelo público em geral até que um estudioso de arte, Lynn H. Nicholas, que trabalhava em Bruxelas, leu um obituário sobre uma mulher francesa que espionou durante anos a operação de saque nazista e # 8217 e salvou sozinha 60.000 obras de arte. Isso estimulou Nicholas a passar uma década pesquisando seu livro de 1995, & # 160The Rape of Europa, que começou a ressurreição de sua história culminando com o filme, & # 160The Monuments Men, baseado no livro de Robert Edsel & # 8217s 2009 com o mesmo nome. The Smithsonian & # 8217s Archives of American Art contém os documentos pessoais e entrevistas de história oral de vários Monuments Men, bem como fotografias e manuscritos de seu tempo na Europa.

"Sem os [Monuments Men], muitos dos tesouros mais importantes da cultura europeia seriam perdidos", diz Nicholas. "Eles fizeram um trabalho extraordinário protegendo e protegendo essas coisas."

The Monuments Men

Em uma corrida contra o tempo, uma força especial de diretores de museus, curadores, historiadores de arte e outros americanos e britânicos, chamados Monuments Men, arriscaram suas vidas vasculhando a Europa para evitar a destruição de milhares de anos de cultura pelos nazistas.

Em nenhum lugar, observa Nicholas, esses tesouros foram mais coletados do que em Altaussee, onde Hitler armazenou os tesouros destinados a seu Fuhrermuseum em Linz, Áustria, um amplo complexo de museus que Hitler planejou como uma vitrine para seu saque. Naquela primeira incursão, Kirstein e Posey (retratados em pseudo-minoria pelos atores Bob Balaban e Bill Murray, respectivamente) também descobriram Michelangelo e Madonna # 8217, que foi retirada de Bruges, na Bélgica, pelos nazistas em setembro de 1944, enquanto os Aliados avançavam a cidade. Em poucos dias, eles também encontraram obras de valor inestimável do pintor holandês Johannes Vermeer.

Eles convocaram o único Monuments Man para o trabalho, George Stout, que foi pioneiro em novas técnicas de conservação de arte antes da guerra, trabalhando no Museu Fogg de Harvard. No início da guerra, Stout (que recebeu o nome de Frank Stokes interpretado por George Clooney no filme) fez campanha sem sucesso pela criação de um grupo como os Monuments Men com autoridades americanas e britânicas. Frustrado, o veterano da Primeira Guerra Mundial se alistou na Marinha e desenvolveu técnicas de camuflagem de aeronaves até ser transferido para um pequeno corpo de 17 Monuments Men em dezembro de 1944.

Stout tinha cruzado a França, Alemanha e Bélgica recuperando obras, muitas vezes viajando em um Volkswagen capturado dos alemães. & # 160 Ele era um dos poucos Monuments Men regularmente nas áreas avançadas, embora suas cartas para sua esposa, Margie, mencionassem apenas "viagens de campo".

Monumentos Homens como Stout geralmente operavam sozinhos com recursos limitados. Em uma entrada de diário, Stout disse que calculou as caixas, engradados e materiais de embalagem necessários para uma remessa. & # 160 "Sem chance de obtê-los", escreveu ele em abril de 1945.

Então eles fizeram. A Stout transformou casacos de pele de carneiro alemães e máscaras de gás em materiais de embalagem. Ele e seu pequeno grupo de colegas reuniram guardas e prisioneiros para fazer as malas e carregá-los. "Nunca em qualquer lugar em paz ou guerra você poderia esperar ver mais devoção abnegada, mais persistência obstinada em prosseguir, a maior parte do tempo sozinho e de mãos vazias, para fazer isso", escreveu Stout a um amigo nos Estados Unidos em março de 1945.

Os Aliados sabiam de Altaussee graças a uma dor de dente. Dois meses antes, Posey estava na antiga cidade de Trier, no leste da Alemanha, com Kirstein e precisava de tratamento. O dentista que ele encontrou o apresentou a seu genro, que esperava conseguir uma passagem segura para sua família para Paris, embora ele tivesse ajudado Herman Goering, Hitler e o segundo em comando de Hitler # 8217, a roubar um trem após um trem de arte . O genro disse a eles a localização da coleção de Goering, bem como o estoque de Hitler em Altaussee.

Hitler reivindicou Altaussee como o refúgio perfeito para o saque destinado ao seu museu Linz. A complexa série de túneis foi minerada pelas mesmas famílias por 3.000 anos, como Stout observou em seu diário. Lá dentro, as condições eram constantes, entre 40 e 47 graus e cerca de 65 por cento de umidade, ideal para armazenar a arte roubada. Os túneis mais profundos ficavam a mais de um quilômetro dentro da montanha, protegidos de bombas inimigas mesmo se o local remoto fosse descoberto. Os alemães construíram pisos, paredes e estantes, bem como uma oficina nas profundezas das câmaras. De 1943 até o início de 1945, uma série de caminhões transportou toneladas de tesouros para os túneis. & # 160

Quando Stout chegou lá em 21 de maio de 1945, logo após o fim das hostilidades, ele narrou o conteúdo baseado em registros nazistas: 6.577 pinturas, 2.300 desenhos ou aquarelas, 954 gravuras, 137 peças de escultura, 129 peças de armas e armaduras, 79 cestos de objetos, 484 caixas de objetos considerados arquivos, 78 móveis, 122 tapeçarias, 1.200-1.700 caixas aparentemente livros ou similares e 283 caixas com conteúdos completamente desconhecidos. Os nazistas construíram prateleiras de armazenamento elaboradas e uma oficina de conservação nas profundezas da mina, onde as câmaras principais ficavam a mais de um quilômetro dentro da montanha.

Stout também observou que havia planos para a demolição da mina. Dois meses antes, Hitler havia emitido o & # 8220Nero Decreto & # 8221 que declarava em parte:

Todos os meios militares de transporte e comunicação, estabelecimentos industriais e depósitos de suprimentos, bem como qualquer outra coisa de valor dentro do território do Reich, que possa de qualquer forma ser usada pelo inimigo imediatamente ou em um futuro previsível para o prosseguimento da guerra, serão destruídos .

O líder do distrito nazista perto de Altaussee, August Eigruber, interpretou as palavras do Fuhrer & # 8217s como uma ordem para destruir qualquer objeto de valor, o que exigia a demolição das minas para que a obra de arte não caísse nas mãos do inimigo. Ele moveu oito caixas para as minas em abril. Eles estavam marcados como "Marble - Do Not Drop", mas na verdade continham bombas de 1.100 libras.

"Adoração do Cordeiro Místico", também conhecido como Retábulo de Ghent, de Jan van Eyck foi uma das obras mais notáveis ​​encontradas na mina de Altausse. (Wikicommons)

Seus planos, no entanto, foram frustrados por uma combinação de mineiros locais querendo salvar seu sustento e oficiais nazistas que consideravam os planos de Eigruber uma loucura, de acordo com livros de Edsel e Nicholas. O diretor da mina convenceu Eigruber a definir acusações menores para aumentar as bombas, depois ordenou que as bombas fossem removidas sem o conhecimento do líder distrital. Em 3 de maio, dias antes da entrada de Posey e Kirstein, os mineiros locais removeram as caixas com as grandes bombas. Quando Eigruber aprendeu, já era tarde demais. Dois dias depois, as pequenas cargas foram disparadas, fechando as entradas da mina, selando a arte com segurança dentro.

Stout originalmente pensava que a remoção ocorreria ao longo de um ano, mas isso mudou em junho de 1945, quando os Aliados começaram a definir as zonas da Europa pós-VE e Altaussee parecia destinada ao controle soviético, o que significa que alguns dos grandes tesouros de arte da Europa e # 8217s poderiam desaparecer nas mãos de Joseph Stalin. Os soviéticos tinham & # 8220Trophy Brigades & # 8221 cujo trabalho era saquear o tesouro inimigo (estimava-se que eles roubaram milhões de objetos, incluindo desenhos, pinturas e livros do Velho Mestre).

& # 160Stout recebeu ordens de mover tudo até 1º de julho. Era uma encomenda impossível.

"Carregamos menos de dois caminhões às 11h30", escreveu Stout em 18 de junho. "Muito lento. Precisa-se de uma tripulação maior."

Em 24 de junho, Stout estendeu o dia de trabalho das 4h às 22h, mas a logística era difícil. A comunicação era difícil, ele muitas vezes não conseguia entrar em contato com Posey. Não havia caminhões suficientes para a viagem até o ponto de coleta, a antiga sede do Partido Nazista, em Munique, a 150 milhas de distância. E os que ele costumava quebrar. Não havia material de embalagem suficiente. Encontrar comida e alojamento para os homens foi difícil. E choveu. "Todas as mãos resmungando", escreveu Stout.

Em 1º de julho, os limites não haviam sido definidos, então Stout e sua tripulação seguiram em frente. Ele passou alguns dias embalando a Madonna de Bruges, que Nicholas descreve como & # 8220 se parecendo muito com um grande presunto Smithfield. & # 8221 Em 10 de julho, foi colocado em um carrinho de mina e Stout o levou até a entrada, onde e o retábulo de Ghent foi carregado em caminhões. Na manhã seguinte, Stout os acompanhou até o ponto de coleta de Munique.

Em 19 de julho, ele relatou que 80 caminhões, 1.850 pinturas, 1.441 caixas de pinturas e esculturas, 11 esculturas, 30 móveis e 34 grandes embalagens de tecidos foram retirados da mina. Havia mais, mas não para Stout, que saiu no RMS rainha Elizabeth em 6 de agosto para voltar para casa em seu caminho para uma segunda turnê pelos monumentos no Japão. Em seu livro, Nicholas diz que Stout, durante pouco mais de um ano na Europa, tirou um dia e meio de folga.

Stout raramente mencionava seu papel central na campanha pelos Monuments Men e, em seguida, salvando incontáveis ​​peças de arte de valor inestimável durante a guerra. Ele falou sobre as recuperações em Altaussee e duas outras minas brevemente naquela história oral de 1978, mas passou a maior parte da entrevista falando sobre seu trabalho no museu.

Mas Lincoln Kirstein não se conteve a seu biógrafo. Robusto, disse ele, & # 8220 foi o maior herói de guerra de todos os tempos & # 8211 ele realmente salvou toda a arte de que todos falavam. & # 8221


Foram os ingleses por trás da criação da Bélgica? [duplicado] - História

Você pode ter visto um poema de Gerard Nolst Trinité chamado The Chaos. Começa assim:

Querida criatura da criação

Estudando a pronúncia do inglês,

Eu vou te ensinar no meu verso

Soa como cadáver, corpo, cavalo e pior.

Em sua versão completa, o poema percorre cerca de 800 das inconsistências ortográficas mais irritantes do inglês. Oitocentos.

Tentar soletrar em inglês é como jogar um daqueles jogos de computador onde, aconteça o que acontecer, você vai perder eventualmente. Se algum mago malvado executou magia vil em nossa língua, ele deveria ser jogado na prisão por seu objetivo nefasto (e se você ainda precisa ser convencido de como a pronúncia em inglês é inconsistente, apenas leia a última frase em voz alta). Mas não, nossa ortografia acabou sendo uma bagunça caprichosa por razões inteiramente humanas.

O problema começa com o próprio alfabeto. Construir um sistema de ortografia para o inglês usando letras que vêm do latim - apesar de os dois idiomas não compartilharem exatamente o mesmo conjunto de sons - é como construir uma sala de jogos usando um conjunto de escritório da IKEA. Mas, do tlingit ao tcheco, muitas outras línguas que não se parecem em nada com o latim se dão muito bem com versões do alfabeto latino.

Então o que aconteceu com o inglês? É uma história de invasões, roubos, preguiça, capricho, erros, orgulho e o rolo compressor inexorável da mudança. Em seus traços mais gerais, esses problemas se resumem às pessoas - incluindo você e eu, queridos leitores - sendo gananciosos, preguiçosos e esnobes.

Invasão e roubo

Primeiro, a ganância: invasão e roubo. Os romanos invadiram a Grã-Bretanha no século 1 DC e trouxeram seu alfabeto no século 7, os anglos e saxões assumiram, junto com sua língua. A partir do século 9, os vikings ocuparam partes da Inglaterra e trouxeram algumas palavras (incluindo elas, substituindo o inglês antigo ei) Em seguida, o francês normando conquistou em 1066 - e substituiu muito do vocabulário pelo francês, incluindo palavras que com o tempo se tornaram boi, porco, invadir, lingua e pessoa.

A conquista normanda da Grã-Bretanha em 1066 - mostrada aqui na Tapeçaria Bayeux do século 11 - introduziu uma série de palavras francesas na língua (Crédito: GL Archive / Alamy)

Depois que os ingleses expulsaram os franceses (mas não suas palavras) alguns séculos depois, eles começaram a adquirir territórios ao redor do mundo - América, Austrália, África, Índia. A cada nova colônia, a Grã-Bretanha adquiria palavras: nogueira, periquito, zebra, bangalô. Os britânicos também faziam negócios com todos os outros e aceitavam as palavras pelo caminho - algo que chamamos de “empréstimo”, embora as palavras fossem mantidas. Nossa língua é um museu de conquistas.

O que isso tem a ver com ortografia? Quando “pegamos emprestado” palavras, elas geralmente vêm de outros sistemas de grafia do alfabeto latino, mas têm sons diferentes dos sons que fazemos em inglês. Muitas outras línguas, portanto, adaptam totalmente as palavras que pegam emprestado: norueguês virou motorista em Sjåfør e o finlandês virou vertente em ranta. Em inglês, porém, usamos nossas cicatrizes de batalha com orgulho. Para algumas palavras, adotamos a pronúncia, mas modificamos a ortografia: galocha (do francês galoche), estranho (do francês alienar) Para outros, não mudamos a ortografia, mas mudamos a pronúncia: Razão (originalmente como "ra-tsee-o" em latim), sauna (o finlandês au é como “ow”), esqui (em nórdico, disse mais como “ela”). Ou mantivemos a grafia e, na medida do razoável, a pronúncia também: corpo de exército, balé, pizza, tortilha.

Línguas preguiçosas

Somando-se à ganância está a preguiça - ou, como os lingüistas chamam, “economia de esforço”. Os sons tendem a mudar para economizar esforço do alto-falante (eliminando os sons) ou do ouvinte (tornando os sons mais distintos). Sob a influência escandinava e francesa, jogamos fora pedaços problemáticos das complexas inflexões do inglês antigo, então uma palavra como hopian foi reduzido para esperança, e com o tempo, o e no final deixou de ser dito. Em séculos mais recentes, muitas vezes mantivemos a grafia quando os sons se desgastam: "vittle" ainda é escrito como comida. Simplificamos algumas combinações de som - “kn” tornou-se “n” e “wr” tornou-se “r”. Também paramos de usar - mas não de escrever - alguns sons: o som "kh" que soletramos gh foi alterado para "f" como em risada ou apenas caiu, como em filha.

Às vezes, os sons mudam caprichosamente. O exemplo mais significativo disso em inglês foi a Grande Mudança Vogal. De 1400 a cerca de 1700, por razões que permanecem obscuras, todas as nossas vogais longas mudaram em nossas bocas como creme girando lentamente em uma xícara de chá. Antes disso, Vejo rimado com "eh" Bota foi dito como "barco" e Fora soou como "oot". Mas quando os sons mudaram, a grafia ficou para trás.

Gravura em cobre após uma imagem do final do século 16 de compositores holandeses (Crédito: Alamy)

Línguas e ouvidos não são as únicas coisas preguiçosas. Os escribas e os compositores também podem ser. Se você trouxer escribas da França ou compositores da Holanda e da Bélgica, de onde vieram as primeiras impressoras na Grã-Bretanha, eles seguirão os padrões aos quais estão acostumados. Os escribas franceses, com sua influência latina, não viam por que escreveríamos cwen quando, obviamente, o que eles ouviram deve ser escrito algo como rainha. Os compositores holandeses sentiram que gost estava faltando alguma coisa, então eles deslizaram em um h para fazer fantasma.

E, diabos, se você cobra pela letra, por que não adicionar alguns e's extras? Eles pareciam estar em todo o lugar de qualquer maneira.

E então veio o esnobismo

O que realmente garantia que a ortografia em inglês era um jogo perdedor, entretanto, era o esnobismo.

Tudo começou no século 11, quando o francês se tornou a língua de alta classe e carregou nosso vocabulário culinário, jurídico e poético. Mas o esnobismo ganhou força na Renascença, quando os estudiosos desenvolveram uma queda pelos clássicos antigos. Eles começaram a emprestar palavras no atacado, muitos de nossos termos científicos e técnicos vêm do latim e do grego (e a maioria dos termos gregos veio primeiro do latim, com ideias latinas de como soletrá-los). Mas eles também decidiram que as palavras que já tínhamos deveriam mostrar sua herança clássica também. Faz peple rastrear de volta ao latim populus? Então ele deve carregar um amuleto especial para mostrar sua nobreza - vamos adicionar o o e torná-lo pessoa! Det tem uma dívida com débito? Em seguida, coloque um b para que possamos saber! Muitas palavras tinham letras adicionadas por esta tabela indi (c) fau (l) t às vezes, elas mudavam sua pronúncia para coincidir com a grafia, como em falta. E às vezes os reformuladores estavam errados sobre a etimologia. Enquanto ilha (anteriormente ile) vem de ínsula (daí o s), por exemplo, ilha não é do inglês antigo Iegland.

Durante a Renascença, os falantes de inglês começaram a pegar emprestado palavras em latim e grego no atacado - ou mudar palavras que já tínhamos para mostrar sua herança antiga (Crédito: Alamy)

Mais uma camada de esnobismo acrescentou outras complicações através do Atlântico nos últimos dois séculos: orgulho nacional. As (relativamente poucas) simplificações americanas da grafia - cor por cor, centro por centro - devem sua existência em grande parte ao desejo de Noah Webster de criar um inglês americano distinto. A preferência canadense por manter muitas grafias britânicas, por outro lado, tem as mesmas origens nacionalistas ... apenas ao contrário.

E agora? Agora nós nem mesmo quer para soletrar as coisas como elas soam. Como soletrar como hed, hart, lafter, dotter, e det olha pra você? Sem educação, talvez? Irritantemente simplista? Exatamente. Gostamos de nossos desconfortos - e realmente gostamos de práticas arbitrárias que nos permitem dizer quem é e quem não é o "tipo certo". Pegamos uma ferramenta útil e a transformamos em um filtro social.

A ganância deu início ao problema da nossa linguagem e a preguiça o consolidou, mas o esnobismo o torna como uma estrela. A história do inglês é um conto de vícios ... e essa é uma palavra, aliás, que aprendemos dos franceses - mesmo que não possamos culpá-los pelos próprios vícios.

Esta história faz parte da BBC Grã-Bretanha - uma nova série focada em explorar esta ilha extraordinária, uma história de cada vez. Leitores de fora do Reino Unido podem ver todas as histórias da BBC da Grã-Bretanha acessando a página inicial da Grã-Bretanha. Você também pode ver nossas histórias mais recentes nos seguindo no Facebook e Twitter.


A História do Concreto

O período de tempo durante o qual o concreto foi inventado pela primeira vez depende de como se interpreta o termo & ldquoconcreto. & Rdquo Os materiais antigos eram cimentos brutos feitos por esmagamento e queima de gesso ou calcário. Cal também se refere a calcário triturado e queimado. Quando areia e água foram adicionadas a esses cimentos, eles se tornaram argamassa, que era um material parecido com o gesso usado para colar pedras umas às outras. Ao longo de milhares de anos, esses materiais foram aprimorados, combinados com outros materiais e, por fim, transformados em concreto moderno.

Hoje em dia, o concreto é feito com cimento Portland, agregados grossos e finos de pedra e areia e água. Os aditivos são produtos químicos adicionados à mistura de concreto para controlar suas propriedades de pega e são usados ​​principalmente ao colocar concreto durante extremos ambientais, como temperaturas altas ou baixas, condições de vento, etc.

O precursor do concreto foi inventado por volta de 1300 aC, quando construtores do Oriente Médio descobriram que, quando revestiram as partes externas de suas fortalezas de argila triturada e paredes de casa com uma camada fina e úmida de calcário queimado, ele reagiu quimicamente com gases no ar para se formar uma superfície dura e protetora. Isso não era concreto, mas foi o início do desenvolvimento do cimento.

Os primeiros materiais cimentícios compostos normalmente incluíam argamassa triturada, calcário queimado, areia e água, que eram usados ​​para construir com pedra, em oposição à fundição do material em um molde, que é essencialmente como o concreto moderno é usado, com o molde sendo o concreto formulários.

Como um dos principais constituintes do concreto moderno, o cimento já existe há muito tempo. Cerca de 12 milhões de anos atrás, onde hoje é Israel, depósitos naturais foram formados por reações entre o calcário e o xisto betuminoso que foram produzidos por combustão espontânea. No entanto, o cimento não é concreto. O concreto é um material de construção composto e os ingredientes, dos quais o cimento é apenas um, mudaram com o tempo e estão mudando até agora. As características de desempenho podem mudar de acordo com as diferentes forças que o concreto precisará resistir. Essas forças podem ser graduais ou intensas, podem vir de cima (gravidade), de baixo (levantamento do solo), das laterais (cargas laterais), ou podem assumir a forma de erosão, abrasão ou ataque químico. The ingredients of concrete and their proportions are called the design mix.

Early Use of Concrete

The first concrete-like structures were built by the Nabataea traders or Bedouins who occupied and controlled a series of oases and developed a small empire in the regions of southern Syria and northern Jordan in around 6500 BC. They later discovered the advantages of hydraulic lime -- that is, cement that hardens underwater -- and by 700 BC, they were building kilns to supply mortar for the construction of rubble-wall houses, concrete floors, and underground waterproof cisterns. The cisterns were kept secret and were one of the reasons the Nabataea were able to thrive in the desert.

In making concrete, the Nabataea understood the need to keep the mix as dry or low-slump as possible, as excess water introduces voids and weaknesses into the concrete. Their building practices included tamping the freshly placed concrete with special tools. The tamping process produced more gel, which is the bonding material produced by the chemical reactions that take place during hydration which bond the particulates and aggregate together.

An ancient Nabataea building

Like the Romans had 500 years later, the Nabataea had a locally available material that could be used to make their cement waterproof. Within their territory were major surface deposits of fine silica sand. Groundwater seeping through silica can transform it into a pozzolan material, which is a sandy volcanic ash. To make cement, the Nabataea located the deposits and scooped up this material and combined it with lime, then heated it in the same kilns they used to make their pottery, since the target temperatures lay within the same range.

By about 5600 BC along the Danube River in the area of the former country of Yugoslavia, homes were built using a type of concrete for floors.

Around 3000 BC, the ancient Egyptians used mud mixed with straw to form bricks. Mud with straw is more similar to adobe than concrete. However, they also used gypsum and lime mortars in building the pyramids, although most of us think of mortar and concrete as two different materials. The Great Pyramid at Giza required about 500,000 tons of mortar, which was used as a bedding material for the casing stones that formed the visible surface of the finished pyramid. This allowed stone masons to carve and set casing stones with joints open no wider than 1/50-inch.

About this same time, the northern Chinese used a form of cement in boat-building and in building the Great Wall. Spectrometer testing has confirmed that a key ingredient in the mortar used in the Great Wall and other ancient Chinese structures was glutenous, sticky rice. Some of these structures have withstood the test of time and have resisted even modern efforts at demolition.

By 600 BC, the Greeks had discovered a natural pozzolan material that developed hydraulic properties when mixed with lime, but the Greeks were nowhere near as prolific in building with concrete as the Romans. By 200 BC, the Romans were building very successfully using concrete, but it wasn&rsquot like the concrete we use today. It was not a plastic, flowing material poured into forms, but more like cemented rubble. The Romans built most of their structures by stacking stones of different sizes and hand-filling the spaces between the stones with mortar. Above ground, walls were clad both inside and out with clay bricks that also served as forms for the concrete. The brick had little or no structural value and their use was mainly cosmetic. Before this time, and in most places at that time (including 95% of Rome), the mortars commonly used were a simple limestone cement that hardened slowly from reacting with airborne carbon dioxide. True chemical hydration did not take place. These mortars were weak.

For the Romans&rsquo grander and more artful structures, as well as their land-based infrastructure requiring more durability, they made cement from a naturally reactive volcanic sand called harena fossicia. For marine structures and those exposed to fresh water, such as bridges, docks, storm drains and aqueducts, they used a volcanic sand called pozzuolana. These two materials probably represent the first large-scale use of a truly cementicious binding agent. Pozzuolana and harena fossicia react chemically with lime and water to hydrate and solidify into a rock-like mass that can be used underwater. The Romans also used these materials to build large structures, such as the Roman Baths, the Pantheon, and the Colosseum, and these structures still stand today. As admixtures, they used animal fat, milk and blood -- materials that reflect very rudimentary methods. On the other hand, in addition to using natural pozzolans, the Romans learned to manufacture two types of artificial pozzolans -- calcined kaolinitic clay and calcined volcanic stones -- which, along with the Romans' spectacular building accomplishments, are evidence of a high level of technical sophistication for that time.

The Pantheon

Built by Rome's Emperor Hadrian and completed in 125 AD, the Pantheon has the largest un-reinforced concrete dome ever built. The dome is 142 feet in diameter and has a 27-foot hole, called an oculus, at its peak, which is 142 feet above the floor. It was built in place, probably by starting above the outside walls and building up increasingly thin layers while working toward the center.

The Pantheon has exterior foundation walls that are 26 feet wide and 15 feet deep and made of pozzolana cement (lime, reactive volcanic sand and water) tamped down over a layer of dense stone aggregate. That the dome still exists is something of a fluke. Settling and movement over almost 2,000 years, along with occasional earthquakes, have created cracks that would normally have weakened the structure enough that, by now, it should have fallen. The exterior walls that support the dome contain seven evenly spaced niches with chambers between them that extend to the outside. These niches and chambers, originally designed only to minimize the weight of the structure, are thinner than the main portions of the walls and act as control joints that control crack locations. Stresses caused by movement are relieved by cracking in the niches and chambers. This means that the dome is essentially supported by 16 thick, structurally sound concrete pillars formed by the portions of the exterior walls between the niches and chambers. Another method to save weight was the use of very heavy aggregates low in the structure, and the use of lighter, less dense aggregates, such as pumice, high in the walls and in the dome. The walls also taper in thickness to reduce the weight higher up.

Roman Guilds

Another secret to the success of the Romans was their use of trade guilds. Each trade had a guild whose members were responsible for passing their knowledge of materials, techniques and tools to apprentices and to the Roman Legions. In addition to fighting, the legions were trained to be self-sufficient, so they were also trained in construction methods and engineering.

Technological Milestones

During the Middle Ages, concrete technology crept backward. After the fall of the Roman Empire in 476 AD, the techniques for making pozzolan cement were lost until the discovery in 1414 of manuscripts describing those techniques rekindled interest in building with concrete.

It wasn&rsquot until 1793 that the technology took a big leap forward when John Smeaton discovered a more modern method for producing hydraulic lime for cement. He used limestone containing clay that was fired until it turned into clinker, which was then ground it into powder. He used this material in the historic rebuilding of the Eddystone Lighthouse in Cornwall, England.

Finally, in 1824, an Englishman named Joseph Aspdin invented Portland cement by burning finely ground chalk and clay in a kiln until the carbon dioxide was removed. It was named &ldquoPortland&rdquo cement because it resembled the high-quality building stones found in Portland, England. It&rsquos widely believed that Aspdin was the first to heat alumina and silica materials to the point of vitrification, resulting in fusion. During vitrification, materials become glass-like. Aspdin refined his method by carefully proportioning limestone and clay, pulverizing them, and then burning the mixture into clinker, which was then ground into finished cement.

Composition of Modern Portland Cement

Before Portland cement was discovered, and for some years afterward, large quantities of natural cement were used, which were produced by burning a naturally occurring mixture of lime and clay. Because the ingredients of natural cement are mixed by nature, its properties vary widely. Modern Portland cement is manufactured to detailed standards. Some of the many compounds found in it are important to the hydration process and the chemical characteristics of cement. It&rsquos manufactured by heating a mixture of limestone and clay in a kiln to temperatures between 1,300° F and 1,500° F. Up to 30% of the mix becomes molten but the remainder stays in a solid state, undergoing chemical reactions that can be slow. Eventually, the mix forms a clinker, which is then ground into powder. A small proportion of gypsum is added to slow the rate of hydration and keep the concrete workable longer. Between 1835 and 1850, systematic tests to determine the compressive and tensile strength of cement were first performed, along with the first accurate chemical analyses. It wasn&rsquot until about 1860 that Portland cements of modern composition were first produced.

In the early days of Portland cement production, kilns were vertical and stationary. In 1885, an English engineer developed a more efficient kiln that was horizontal, slightly tilted, and could rotate. The rotary kiln provided better temperature control and did a better job of mixing materials. By 1890, rotary kilns dominated the market. In 1909, Thomas Edison received a patent for the first long kiln. This kiln, installed at the Edison Portland Cement Works in New Village, New Jersey, was 150 feet long. This was about 70 feet longer than the kilns in use at the time. Industrial kilns today may be as long as 500 feet.

Building Milestones

Although there were exceptions, during the 19 th century, concrete was used mainly for industrial buildings. It was considered socially unacceptable as a building material for aesthetic reasons. The first widespread use of Portland cement in home construction was in England and France between 1850 and 1880 by Frenchman Francois Coignet, who added steel rods to prevent the exterior walls from spreading, and later used them as flexural elements. The first home built using reinforced concrete was a servant&rsquos cottage constructed in England by William B. Wilkinson in 1854. In 1875, American mechanical engineer William Ward completed the first reinforced concrete home in the U.S. It still stands in Port Chester, New York. Ward was diligent in maintaining construction records, so a great deal is known about this home. It was built out of concrete because of his wife&rsquos fear of fire, and in order to be more socially acceptable, it was designed to resemble masonry. This was the start of what is today a $35 billion industry that employs more than 2 million people in the U.S. alone.

The home built by William Ward is commonly called Ward&rsquos Castle.

In 1891, George Bartholomew poured the first concrete street in the U.S., and it still exists today. The concrete used for this street tested at about 8,000 psi, which is about twice the strength of modern concrete used in residential construction.


Court Street in Bellefontaine, Ohio, which is the oldest concrete street in the U.S.

By 1897, Sears Roebuck was selling 50-gallon drums of imported Portland cement for $3.40 each. Although in 1898 cement manufacturers were using more than 90 different formulas, by 1900, basic testing -- if not manufacturing methods -- had become standardized.

During the late 19 th century, the use of steel-reinforced concrete was being developed more or less simultaneously by a German, G.A. Wayss, a Frenchman, Francois Hennebique, and an American, Ernest L. Ransome. Ransome started building with steel-reinforced concrete in 1877 and patented a system that used twisted square rods to improve the bond between steel and concrete. Most of the structures he built were industrial.

Hennebique started building steel-reinforced homes in France in the late 1870s. He received patents in France and Belgium for his system and was highly successful, eventually building an empire by selling franchises in large cities. He promoted his method by lecturing at conferences and developing his own company standards. As did Ransome, most of the structures Hennebique built were industrial. In 1879, Wayss bought the rights to a system patented by a Frenchman named Monier, who started out using steel to reinforce concrete flower pots and planting containers. Wayss promoted the Wayss-Monier system.

In 1902, August Perret designed and built an apartment building in Paris using steel-reinforced concrete for the columns, beams and floor slabs. The building had no bearing walls, but it did have an elegant façade, which helped make concrete more socially acceptable. The building was widely admired and concrete became more widely used as an architectural material as well as a building material. Its design was influential in the design of reinforced-concrete buildings in the years that followed.

25 Rue Franklin in Paris, France

In 1904, the first concrete high-rise building was constructed in Cincinnati, Ohio. It stands 16 stories or 210 feet tall.

The Ingalls Building in Cincinnati, Ohio

In 1911, the Risorgimento Bridge was built in Rome. It spans 328 feet.

Rome&rsquos Risorgimento Bridge

In 1913, the first load of ready-mix was delivered in Baltimore, Maryland. Four years later, the National Bureau of Standards (now the National Bureau of Standards and Technology) and the American Society for Testing and Materials (now ASTM International) established a standard formula for Portland cement.

In 1915, Matte Trucco built the five-story Fiat-Lingotti Autoworks in Turin using reinforced concrete. The building had an automobile test track on the roof.

The Fiat-Lingotti Autoworks in Turin, Italy

Eugène Freyssinet was a French engineer and pioneer in the use of reinforced- concrete construction. In 1921, he built two gigantic parabolic-arched airship hangars at Orly Airport in Paris. In 1928, he was granted a patent for pre-stressed concrete.

The parabolic-arched airship hangar at Orly Airport in Paris, France

Airship hangar construction

Air Entrainment

In 1930, air-entraining agents were developed that greatly increased concrete&rsquos resistance to freezing and improved its workability. Air entrainment was an important development in improving the durability of modern concrete. Air entrainment is the use of agents that, when added to concrete during mixing, create many air bubbles that are extremely small and closely spaced, and most of them remain in the hardened concrete. Concrete hardens through a chemical process called hydration. For hydration to take place, concrete must have a minimum water-to-cement ratio of 25 parts of water to 100 parts of cement. Water in excess of this ratio is surplus water and helps make the concrete more workable for placing and finishing operations. As concrete dries and hardens, surplus water will evaporate, leaving the concrete surface porous. Water from the surrounding environment, such as rain and snowmelt, can enter these pores. Freezing weather can turn this water to ice. As that happens, the water expands, creating small cracks in the concrete that will grow larger as the process is repeated, eventually resulting in surface flaking and deterioration called spalling. When concrete has been air-entrained, these tiny bubbles can compress slightly, absorbing some of the stress created by expansion as water turns to ice. Entrained air also improves workability because the bubbles act as a lubricant between aggregate and particles in the concrete. Entrapped air is composed of larger bubbles trapped in the concrete and is not considered beneficial.

Expertise in building with reinforced concrete eventually allowed the development of a new way of building with concrete the thin-shell technique involves building structures, such as roofs, with a relatively thin shell of concrete. Domes, arches and compound curves are typically built with this method, since they are naturally strong shapes. In 1930, the Spanish engineer Eduardo Torroja designed a low-rise dome for the market at Algeciras, with a 3½-inch thickness that spanned 150 feet. Steel cables were used to form a tension ring. At about the same time, Italian Pier Luigi Nervi began building hangars for the Italian Air Force, shown in the photo below.


Cast-in-place hangars for the Italian Air Force

The hangars were cast in place, but much of Nervi&rsquos work used pre-cast concrete.

Probably the most accomplished person when it came to building using concrete shell techniques was Felix Candela, a Spanish mathematician-engineer-architect who practiced mostly in Mexico City. The roof of the Cosmic Ray Laboratory at the University of Mexico City was built 5/8-inch thick. His trademark form was the hyperbolic paraboloid. Although the building shown in the photo below was not designed by Candela, it&rsquos a good example of a hyperbolic paraboloid roof.

A hyperbolic paraboloid roof on a church in Boulder, Colorado

The same church under construction

Some of the most striking roofs anywhere have been built using thin-shell technology, as depicted below.

The Sydney Opera House in Sydney, Australia

In 1935, the Hoover Dam was completed after pouring approximately 3,250,000 yards of concrete, with an additional 1,110,000 yards used in the power plant and other dam-related structures. Bear in mind that this was less than 20 years after a standard formula for cement was established.

Columns of blocks being filled with concrete at the Hoover Dam in February 1934

Engineers for the Bureau of Reclamation calculated that if the concrete was placed in a single, monolithic pour, the dam would take 125 years to cool, and stresses from the heat produced and the contraction that takes place as concrete cures would cause the structure to crack and crumble. The solution was to pour the dam in a series of blocks that formed columns, with some blocks as large as 50 feet square and 5 feet high. Each 5-foot-tall section has a series of 1-inch pipes installed through which river water and then mechanically chilled water was pumped to carry away the heat. Once the concrete stopped contracting, the pipes were filled with grout. Concrete core samples tested in 1995 showed that the concrete has continued to gain strength and has higher-than-average compressive strength.

The upstream-side of the Hoover Dam is shown as it fills for the first time

Grand Coulee Dam

The Grand Coulee Dam in Washington, completed in 1942, is the largest concrete structure ever built. It contains 12 million yards of concrete. Excavation required the removal of over 22 million cubic yards of dirt and stone. To reduce the amount of trucking, a conveyor belt 2 miles long was constructed. At foundation locations, grout was pumped into holes drilled 660 to 880 feet deep (in granite) in order to fill any fissures that might weaken the ground beneath the dam. To avoid excavation collapse from the weight of the overburden, 3-inch pipes were inserted into the earth through which chilled liquid from a refrigerating plant was pumped. This froze the earth, stabilizing it enough that construction could continue.

Concrete for the Grand Coulee Dam was placed using the same methods used for the Hoover Dam. After being placed in columns, cold river water was pumped through pipes embedded in the curing concrete, reducing the temperature in the forms from 105° F (41° C) to 45° F (7° C). This caused the dam to contract about 8 inches in length, and the resulting gaps were filled with grout.

The Grand Coulee Dam under construction

High-Rise Construction

In the years following the construction of the Ingalls Building in 1904, most high-rise buildings were made of steel. Construction in 1962 of Bertrand Goldberg's 60-story Twin Towers in Chicago sparked renewed interest in using reinforced concrete for high-rises.

The world's tallest structure (as of 2011) was built using reinforced concrete. The Burj Khalifa in Dubai in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) stands 2,717 feet tall.


Were the English behind the creation of Belgium? [duplicate] - History

The History of Communication Technology

By Adam Kennedy, [email protected]

In the late 1870’s, as Thomas Edison was in his heyday of creating and improving on communications devices, he was struck with the dilemma of making the telephone the main medium of communication. The problem was however, the telegraph’s message could quickly be recorded and sent out to a recipient in a telegram. With a phone call, the message had to be listened to by a person then written down and sent out. Edison theorized that having a device record the voice on the telephone, and then used to playback later would be the ultimate answer. Enter the Edison Phonograph.

The Edison Phonograph


While working with the telephone and telegraph, Edison was using an electrical diaphragm to make a voice into an electrical signal and a stylus connected to a telegraph to make dots and dashes on paper to independently record telegraph signals. After working with the two for some period of time in 1877, Edison had the idea to converge the two together and attempt to make a machine that records voice. He took the stylus from the telegraph and attached it to a diaphragm connected to a telephone. Edison spoke into his new contraption and the stylus clearly made an indentation on the paper when he spoke. When he played it back however, there was just some static noise. This was headway though, Edison proved that his voice could be recorded, it just needed modifications and more research, the invention at this time was rough and spur of the moment after all. Edison and his associates went back to the drawing board for several more months to perfect the phonograph.


On December 3 1877, Edison had done it, he had come up with plans for the machine and had it assembled in his workshop. This time, important modifications were made. Instead of using paper as a medium of recording, he used tin foil to record the sound waves. Also, the tin foil was made into a cylinder the cylinder would rotate around in a circle with a stylus touching it. When sound waves vibrated, the stylus was touching the tin cylinder, it would indent the tin making a perfect copy of the sound.

How the phonograph works


The first audio recorded and played back was Edison saying the nursery rhyme, “Mary Had a Little Lamb.”
Edison soon got bored with the invention and did not do much with it for the next several years. Other inventers soon discovered the great invention and began to work with it themselves. In 1886, one of these men was a man by the name of Charles Sumner Tainter of the Alexander Graham Bell Company. He took the idea of the tin cylinder and changed it into wax and used a less rigid stylus, the result was an improved phonograph with better quality of playback. They called it the graphophone.


Once Edison was done making his new invention, the light bulb, his competitive personality brought him back to the phonograph. He wanted to make his phonograph better than the Bell Company’s graphophone. When he was done with his improvements, a businessman, Jesse H. Lippincott, bought all of the phonograph companies including Edison’s, and attempted to make a monopoly out of the phonograph industry. Lippincott would only rent the machines out to businesses and not sell them. This was greatly opposed and his idea to not go over to well, he became sick in 1890 and Edison took control of the company. Once Edison had control, he ended the rental policy and began to sell the phonographs.


In 1894, Edison made a brilliant business move, he declared bankruptcy of the North American Phonograph company of which he did not own, and then bought the company back. With the company now under his control, he made a step in the direction that we are all thankful for today, home entertainment. Edison began to market the phonograph to standard people for entertainment. The price of the device fell dramatically and was more available to the consumer. Edison cylinders typically played music, but it was not uncommon for the cylinders to be comic shorts.


There were two main problems with Edison cylinders, first of all, they only played for about two minutes and there was no means of mass reproduction for the cylinders. That means that if a singer is performing a song for example, they can only record a few cylinders at a time. Therefore, the singer had to sing the song numerous times just to make enough cylinders to sell.


The problem was solved in 1901 when Edison came up was a method to mass-produce the wax cylinders. A master cylinder would be made from gold, and then the gold master would be used as a mold to make the duplicate wax cylinders. The benefits of mass production were quite evident in that the price of wax cylinders fell to about 35 cents apiece.


As time went on, competitors began to use circular discs instead of cylinders, they provided more playback time, however the sound quality was not as good, it was a give take situation. Edison opposed the idea of the disc, however almost everyone else switched to the disc because of the longer playtime, which was seen as to be more important. Eventually in 1913 Edison gave in and started to produce what we now know as records.
From here on, the phonograph turns into what we see it as today, early models were crank operated and had a large horn as a speaker, they were knows as victrolas. The now “record player,” would shape the century providing musical entertainment to anyone who wanted it. The phonograph played a role in toys, time announcing clocks, books for the blind, and family records. Additionally, the phonograph made talking movies possible, Edison was the frontrunner of the cinema and it could not have been possible if he had not made the phonograph years earlier.
Edison’s phonograph played an integral role in World War I. He made a special machine the soldiers could take with them to the battlefront to help raise moral and remind them of home.

Phonograph cylinders


The world would be a different place today if it were not for the invention of the phonograph, music is an essential part of people’s lives around the globe it is a way of expression and a reflection of oneself. The ability to playback music shaped all the generations of the twentieth century, every teenager’s life revolves around music. The phonograph played a gigantic role on the transmission of ideas from one place to another. Especially with the usage of the cinema, news could be broadcast, and with the help of the phonograph, educate cultures about one another. Without the phonograph, the culture of the world, without a doubt, would be completely different.


The history of Belgian fries

What we recognize today as Belgian ‘frites‘ or ‘friets‘ is thought to come from the region of Meuse in 1680. The poor inhabitants of the Meuse valley area subsisted mainly on fish. But when the River Meuse froze in 1680, potatoes were cut into the shape of fish, fried, and used as a substitute for their main staple. The Belgian tourism board claims that Belgian fries – ‘les frites’ – were incorrectly named ‘French fries’ by American servicemen when they came to Belgium at the end of WWI. The French fries mislabel was reportedly the result of naming the fries after the French language spoken in Wallonia.

Thomas Jefferson, the great Begian fries lover

There has been much disagreement over the origin of frites as the region lies in the heart of French-speaking Wallonia, forcing Flanders to desperately seek a Flemish origin to the food. However, as in most countries, food can define culture, and frites are generally a unifying force and thoroughly Belgian.

French fries (or rather Belgian fries) arrived in the US in the late 1700s. President Thomas Jefferson brought the method back to the colonies. In the UK, the first chip materialized much later in the 1870s. It made its debut appearance at Dundee Market where it was traded by a Belgian immigrant named Edward De Gernier.

As for the frites add-on essential, mayonnaise, its origin is cloudy. One theory connects it to the harbor town of Mahón the capital of the Spanish island of Menorca which was liberated from the English by French clergyman and statesman, Cardinal Richelieux. The towns of Bayonne and Mayon, however, also claim it as their own.


In Conclusion and Oil

With all of the tales of how the fry was invented, the history of french fries is rather confusing as to who made what and where. Americans seem to have simply loved the spuds and brought them back, as all tales show. The French as the inventors of the fried food makes sense, due to the name, the type of cut and historical background. Belgium still claims to be the inventors of the french fry and they have to be given the credit for a couple of photographs and documentation. Although these do exist, it seems that they were from around 1891, where the French document and claim an earlier introduction to the potato.

When it comes to a 100%, documented answer to the question of who invented french fries, I stake claim in the French inventing the fry and say, “bring them on!”


Lighter history started during 1920s with the exploits of the chemists and inventor Johann Wolfgang Döbereiner. His device called “Döbereiner's lamp” served as an excellent stepping stone for creation of modern lighter industry and the technologies that are today used in every lighter around the world.

With the rise of the modern chemistry, it was not strange to see that first lighter was created before the first friction match. Famous German chemist Johann Wolfgang Dobereiner created his “Döbereiner's lamp” in 1823, which used chemical reaction between zinc and sulfuric acid to create very flammable hydrogen gas. Even though this invention was truly remarkable and has fueled many other inventors to start developing new lighter designs, it was 1826 introduction of first friction match by English chemist and druggist John Walker that truly managed to change the way we create fire. After him, many other inventors added their contributions and advancements, eventually leading to the worldwide phenomenon of white phosphorus matches created by Frenchman Charles Sauria. Even though this type of matches was very popular, white phosphorus was eventually banned from public usage because of its toxic properties.

The definitive modern match was born in mid-19th century by Swedish chemist Gustaf Erik Pasch. His “safety match” design moved the phosphorus away from the match itself and onto safe striking surface, enabling creation of much safer, easier to use, and cheaper matches. His invention was greatly popularized by Swedish industrialist and inventor John Edvard Lundström who started first mass production of this type of matches.


Assista o vídeo: PAÍSES EUROPEUS 1 BÉLGICA!!! (Dezembro 2021).