Em formação

Imagem do British Taylorcraft Auster

Imagem do British Taylorcraft Auster


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Imagem do British Taylorcraft Auster

O britânico Taylorcraft Auster foi o principal avião de observação da artilharia utilizado pela RAF na segunda metade da Segunda Guerra Mundial.


Aeronave Auster

Auster Aircraft Limited foi um fabricante de aeronaves britânico. A empresa, que foi fundada em 1938 como Taylorcraft Airplanes (England) Limited , existiu até 1962. A empresa foi inicialmente baseada em Thurmaston, mais tarde Rearsby, ambas em Leicestershire. A renomeação de Taylorcraft Airplanes em Auster Aircraft ocorreu em 8 de março de 1946. Apenas aviões monomotores a hélice foram produzidos. O nome ostra é derivado de um vento sul italiano e inicialmente serviu apenas como um nome de produto.


Aeronaves Taylorcraft

Novos proprietários transferiram a produção para Lock Haven, Pensilvânia, até que problemas de negócios forçaram a empresa a fechar novamente em 1992. [carece de fontes?]

Propriedade da Polychron e da O'Rielly

John Polychron, ex-CEO da Delmonte Foods comprou a Taylorcraft e a operou por aproximadamente um ano até vendê-la ao procurador da Filadélfia, Phillip O'Rielly. O'Rielly nunca reabriu e a empresa ficou profundamente endividada, resultando em uma venda do xerife programada em 1996. [carece de fontes?]

Propriedade de estande

A Taylorcraft foi salva da extinção pelo Sr. Lee F. Booth, um ex-fuzileiro naval e engenheiro de Seaford Delaware. Booth mudou o nome da empresa para Booth-Taylorcraft Aerospace, Inc. A Booth-Taylorcraft Aerospace pagou todos os credores e realocou toda a empresa em 88 reboques de caminhões de 53 pés para Greensboro, Carolina do Norte. [citação necessária]
Booth, como Presidente e Presidente, dirigiu a Corporação por meio de uma extensa Recertificação de todos os Certificados de Tipo, Engenharia, Auditorias FAA até o nível de Gabinete de Certificação de Aeronaves, procedimentos de produção, re-ferramentas completas e certificação de ferramentas e processos de trabalho. Booth pediu a ajuda do Sr. Dayrl Romick, ex-engenheiro-chefe da Taylorcraft Airplane Company e da BF Goodrich. Romick era um amigo próximo de Werner von Braun. Booth também contratou um jovem físico e piloto de testes chefe, Sr. Hooman Bahrani, de Winston Salem, NC. Bahrani, um graduado da Wake Forest University, tornou-se um acionista minoritário, tornando-se assim o primeiro persa nascido nos Estados Unidos a se tornar proprietário de um fabricante de aeronaves dos EUA na história da aviação. [Carece de fontes?]


Aviões Taylorcraft

A pequena aeronave Air Observation Post (AOP) da família British Taylorcraft Auster serviu em quase todos os teatros de operações em que o Exército Britânico lutou durante a Segunda Guerra Mundial, principalmente fornecendo apoio à Artilharia Real. O lema da Artilharia Real é & # 8216Ubique & # 8217, que se traduz como & # 8216everywhere & # 8217, e este lema pode ser aplicado igualmente às unidades Auster que apontaram para os canhões da Artilharia Real & # 8217s em todo o mundo.

Acima: Tony & # 8217s finalizado Auster Mk III parece resplandecente em sua camuflagem Dark Earth e Dark Green. O modelo tem acabamento com as marcações de uma aeronave nº 656 Sqn, com base na Índia e na Birmânia.

A artilharia também forneceu os pilotos para as unidades AOP, com a RAF fornecendo as equipes de terra e os motoristas e cozinheiros para as unidades provenientes de ambos os serviços. Embora as próprias unidades tenham sido formadas como esquadrões da RAF, sua operação pode ser descrita como um dos primeiros exemplos da moderna & # 8217 articulação & # 8217 de hoje. As unidades AOP eram obviamente totalmente móveis e eram capazes de operar a partir de pequenas faixas de grama logo atrás da linha de frente, às vezes perto de baterias de artilharia ou HQ & # 8217s, já que o Auster só precisava de uma pista de pouso de 150 jardas (137 m).
A primeira unidade AOP foi um pequeno destacamento experimental que foi para a França em 1940 com a Força Expedicionária Britânica e isso lançou as bases para a formação dos esquadrões AOP posteriores. Essas unidades passaram a servir com distinção no norte da África, Sicília, Itália, nordeste da Europa e Birmânia e muitas continuam a servir hoje como esquadrões modernos do Corpo de Aviação do Exército.

É provável que o Sword queira tirar o máximo proveito de seu kit Auster Mk III e a divisão das peças sugere que outras variantes do Auster poderiam ser produzidas. Além das diferenças de motor, houve poucas mudanças importantes entre as marcas Auster, com exceção dos flapes de borda traseira divididos e vidros de cabine revisados ​​que foram introduzidos no Mk III e os vidros de cabine ampliada dos Mks IV e V. Comparando o O modelo Mk I ilustrado com Tony & # 8217s Mk III mostra como essas duas marcas eram semelhantes. (Aerospace Publishing Ltd)

Austers também serviu com a Real Força Aérea Australiana no sudoeste do Pacífico e versões posteriores serviram com esquadrões britânicos do pós-guerra em operações na Malásia, Suez e Coréia.
A versão do Auster modelada neste artigo é o Auster Mk III e é baseado no kit de escala 1: 48 lançado recentemente pela Sword.

Auster Mk III e o kit de espada

O Auster Mk III era movido por um motor de Havilland Gipsy Major I, devido a preocupações com o fornecimento dos motores Lycoming americanos do Mk II anterior. Esses problemas nunca surgiram, entretanto, e depois que 467 Mk Ills foram construídos, as versões posteriores do tempo de guerra, os Mks IV e V, voltaram ao motor dos EUA. Pós-guerra, o Auster AOP. O Mk 6 foi impulsionado por um de Havilland Gipsy Major VII.
O Auster Mk III esteve em ação principalmente no exterior, tendo sido quase totalmente substituído pelo Mk IV em casa na época do Dia D, com apenas alguns remanescentes para ir para a França, principalmente na função de ligação. No entanto, esteve em serviço ativo desde 1942 na Tunísia e na Sicília e continuou a servir até o fim da guerra na Itália, na Birmânia e com os australianos no Pacífico. O australiano Mk Ills prestou um serviço tremendo e continuou a servir até a década de 1950.

Com o fornecimento do motor Lycoming garantido, a British Taylorcraft voltou ao motor americano para seu Auster Mk IV (acima à esquerda). O Mk V, mostrado à direita, diferia pouco do Mk IV, mas estava equipado com um painel que voa às cegas. O Mk IV introduziu o vidro traseiro abaulado da cabine superior que também foi adaptado em alguns Mk Ills. Foi também o primeiro modelo Auster a apresentar três assentos, (ambos Aerospace Publishing Ltd)

O kit Sword é realmente muito bom e consiste em plástico moldado por injeção bem detalhado e limitado para as partes da fuselagem principal, com um dossel vacform, do qual dois exemplos são fornecidos em caso de erro.

Começando a construção Auster Taylorcraft

Entre as peças moldadas por injeção estão as muitas pequenas peças que acabarão por representar a estrutura interior que é visível através da copa. Essas peças precisam de muito cuidado para serem removidas dos canais de entrada e todas precisarão de muita limpeza depois. Consegui quebrar alguns dos meus e espero que o trabalho de reparo não apareça muito no modelo acabado. Depois que todas essas peças foram limpas, elas foram pintadas com Interior Cinza Verde e deixadas de lado.

Em 8 de março de 1946, a British Taylorcraft tornou-se Auster, a produção das máquinas AOP da empresa & # 8217s continuando com o Gypsy Major 7-engine Auster AOP. Mk 6. Esta aeronave era basicamente um Auster Mk V. melhorado e com novo motor (Aerospace Publishing Ltd)

Enquanto as peças da estrutura estavam secando, removi o piso da cabine, os assentos, as colunas de controle e o painel de instrumentos de seus canais e os encaixei a seco nas laterais da fuselagem já removidas. Depois de descobrir onde tudo se encaixava, marquei pequenas linhas para indicar isso no interior da fuselagem e, em seguida, pintei as partes internas com o mesmo Interior Cinza Verde da estrutura, com exceção do interior das portas e do painel de instrumentos, que foram pintados de preto acetinado. O interior das portas foi pintado de preto para representar o interior de couro das portas reais. As portas reais também tinham grandes bolsões de mapas incorporados a elas, equipamento essencial para a função AOP.
A quebra do kit na área do motor pode sugerir que outras versões do Auster poderiam ser lançadas com o motor Lycoming, ou alguém da indústria caseira poderia vir ao resgate com algumas peças de resina.
As capotas do motor foram montadas em seguida, enquanto as peças internas secavam,
e consistiam em três partes laterais e inferior com uma seção frontal inteiriça, na qual se encaixava uma parte muito bem detalhada para representar a frente do motor, vista através da entrada de ar. A parte inferior inclui os distintos tubos de escape separados do Auster Mk III. A capota do motor funcionou sem problemas e foi deixada de lado para mais tarde.

Como as partes internas ainda estavam secando, resolvi montar as asas. Estas foram a própria simplicidade de montar, sendo uma seção superior e uma seção inferior para cada asa. Para tornar o modelo um pouco mais interessante, decidi separar todas as superfícies de controle e recolocá-las ligeiramente deslocadas. Os ailerons foram removidos com uma lâmina de bisturi afiada e uma serra de barbear. Eles foram então lixados e receberam uma borda de ataque mais arredondada, antes de serem recolocados. Para o leme e os elevadores, era apenas uma simples questão de marcar as dobradiças e dobrá-las nas posições desejadas.
Agora que as partes internas estavam secas, todas foram escovadas a seco em prata para realçar os detalhes e, em seguida, o piso foi preso a uma das metades da fuselagem, preparando-se para adicionar os assentos. A única adição que fiz aqui foi colocar um rádio da caixa de sobressalentes atrás dos dois assentos. A seguir foi a primeira parte que eu temia & # 8211 adicionar a estrutura interna. Para ser honesto, isso não foi tão ruim, com tudo se encaixando onde deveria, com exceção das barras em forma de & # 8216V & # 8217 que estão presas à braçadeira do painel de instrumentos. No final, estes foram deixados para simplesmente se juntarem à braçola, mas tenho certeza de que deveriam ter sido mais longos e ir para a parte de trás da braçola para que ficassem nivelados com o pára-brisa em vez de ficarem bem para trás como fazem agora. Certamente irei substituí-los por tubos de plástico mais longos quando construir um segundo modelo. Apesar deste pequeno problema, não houve outros soluços e as colunas de controle exclusivas, que são muito longas e desaparecem sob o painel de instrumentos, foram instaladas sem problemas. As metades da fuselagem agora estavam unidas e a seção do motor conectada.

Uma vez que todas as peças estavam secas, elas foram lixadas para remover as linhas de junta e o material rodante, com suas rodas pré-pintadas, junto com os degraus do piloto & # 8217s, foram adicionados.

Pintura austera autocrata

A Sword forneceu algumas opções de cores realmente agradáveis ​​no kit, incluindo uma aeronave listrada do Dia D anônima, uma máquina australiana totalmente verde com uma boca de tubarão e um exemplo imediato do pós-guerra com códigos sob as asas do polonês No. 663 Sqn que serviu na Itália com a Divisão Polonesa. Eventualmente irei construir tudo isso, pois são todas opções excelentes, mas para um artigo eu sempre gosto de construir algo diferente, então escolhi construir uma aeronave da
Com base na Índia / Birmânia nº 656 Sqn, usando rodelas SEAC.
Este esquadrão foi formado no Reino Unido em 31 de dezembro de 1942 e foi para a Índia em agosto de 1943. Ele se juntou ao 14º Exército e forneceu apoio durante toda a campanha da Birmânia, terminando em Kuala Lumpur para ser dissolvido em janeiro de 1947. O principal lar do esquadrão enquanto baseado na Índia era a pista de pouso de Deolali. Foi baseado aqui ao lado do No. 1587 AOP Refresher Flight, bem como a escola de artilharia de selva, que treinou tripulações de reposição antes de passá-los para o esquadrão ativo. Mais tarde, em 1945, uma outra unidade AOP, No. 659 Squadron, foi enviada para a Índia, chegando em outubro com os posteriores Auster Mk Vs e Mk Vis, depois de já ter servido no noroeste da Europa com o 21º Exército.
Decidi nesta fase da montagem parcial começar a pintar o pequeno Auster. Eu pintei duas camadas de Polyscale Dark Earth, seguido pelo disruptivo tom de Dark Green, na fuselagem e nas asas separadas. Essas cores eram o padrão para a maioria das aeronaves AOP em tempo de guerra, com exceção de algumas aeronaves baseadas na Índia no final da guerra que carregavam um esquema de prata total. Eu só vi fotos de Auster Mk Vs usando este esquema, no entanto, isso só pode se aplicar às versões posteriores.
Agora que o modelo foi pintado, ele estava começando a ficar muito bonito, mas decidi adicionar mais um recurso extra a ele, além de mover as superfícies de controle, e isso era para abrir uma das portas do piloto & # 8217s. Para fazer isso, bastava marcar ao longo das linhas do painel da porta até que a porta se soltasse, recortando a janela do dossel vacform e acrescentando-a à porta. A porta foi então adicionada ao modelo na posição aberta e as bordas da porta foram limpas e pintadas, assim como a porta, adicionando um pouco de prata para representar o desgaste. Nesta fase, a hélice, que tinha sido pré-pintada de preto com pontas amarelas, também foi adicionada.

Com seu encaixe de rádio sendo uma parte integrante da missão AOP, Tony fez questão de simular as antenas do Auster Mk Ill & # 8217s. O uso cuidadoso de monofilamento elástico, latão e super cola produziu este excelente resultado. (Tony O & # 8217Toole)

Com seu amplo painel envidraçado, o Auster Mk III paga grandes dividendos pelo tempo gasto em seu interior. A estrutura interna é muito evidente nesta imagem, embora Tony não esteja convencido de que os suportes dianteiros & # 8216V & # 8217 estejam posicionados corretamente. (Tony O & # 8217Toole)

Adicionando os decalques auster aop 6

Antes de adicionar o dossel vacform, decidi adicionar os decalques. Para construir a aeronave SEAC, tive que vasculhar minhas referências para, eventualmente, encontrar o MZ196 de série. mas infelizmente nenhuma fotografia. Durante a campanha na Birmânia, o No. 656 Sqn operou em muitas faixas ásperas, mas uma das superfícies de operação favoritas era uma praia. Encontrei uma fotografia de uma das aeronaves do esquadrão & # 8217s operando de tal local, bem como outra imagem em Scale Aircraft Modeling Vol 16 No 4 em um excelente artigo do SEAC. Embora as séries de ambas as aeronaves não pudessem ser decifradas nas fotos, eu baseei meu modelo do MZ196 em ambas.
Os Austers usavam os roundels azul escuro e azul claro SEAC, mas estes pareciam bem grandes quando comparados com o tipo muito pequeno visto na maioria das aeronaves maiores. Usei itens da caixa de peças sobressalentes para representar essas marcações, mas existem folhas de decalques da Modeldecal (folha 117) e Almark (folha A3) que também fornecem esses roundels. A série veio da folha Xtradecal X021-48 e uma vez que os decalques foram adicionados à superfície anteriormente lustrada, eles foram selados com uma camada adicional de verniz brilhante. Finalmente, uma vez que o brilho estava seco. O modelo Uie foi atenuado com verniz acrílico fosco em escala de polígonos.

Uma imagem de baixo ângulo mostra a porta da cabine aberta, os degraus de embarque do piloto & # 8217s e o aparelhamento da cauda do avião em vantagem. Os reforços sob as asas substanciais desempenharam um papel importante no método escolhido por Tony & # 8217 para prender as asas à fuselagem. (Tony O & # 8217Toole)

Adicionando as asas e vidros

Eu não podia mais adiar o próximo estágio & # 8211 finalmente era hora de adicionar o velame vacform e prender as asas. O dossel havia sido pré-pintado e removido de sua moldura de plástico com uma lâmina de bisturi nova. Eu marquei ao longo das linhas do painel, tornando o dossel um pouco maior do que o necessário para deixar um pouco de plástico para trabalhar ao encaixá-lo na fuselagem. Como sempre, a inclusão de uma cobertura sobressalente é muito bem-vinda, embora neste caso não tenha sido obrigatória. O velame foi encaixado a seco na fuselagem e os resíduos de plástico foram gradualmente removidos até que a peça se encaixasse. Para fixá-lo à fuselagem, usei o Humbrol Clear Fix. mas reforçou isso com pequenas quantidades de supercola, certificando-se de que isso ficasse apenas do lado de fora da copa para evitar a temida névoa branca. Se algo disso aparecer do lado de fora do dossel, uma pincelada com um pouco de verniz brilhante irá removê-lo.
Agora que a cobertura foi fixada. Eu tive que descobrir como colocar as asas enquanto mantinha a coisa toda boa e forte. Pensei em colocar hastes de latão através do dossel para atuar como mastros, mas elas apareceriam como uma estrutura extra e seriam muito óbvias pelo telhado transparente de vidro. Com um pouco de reflexão, eu poderia ter incorporado isso na estrutura interna no início, mas não o fiz. então eu tive que fazer outra coisa. No final, decidi adicionar os suportes das asas a cada asa, certificando-me de que eram bons e fortes, e depois prender as asas ao dossel usando uma mistura de Clear Fix e super cola. As escoras suportavam muito bem as asas, mas enquanto secavam um simples gabarito, feito de duas pilhas de livros, era usado para apoiá-las. No dia seguinte, quando retirei o modelo dos livros, ele estava bonito e forte, então você decide se deseja adicionar longarinas ou não.

A principal função de uma aeronave AOP era usar seu rádio para se comunicar com os artilheiros baseados em solo, então a aeronave deveria ter algum tipo de antena de rádio. No Auster Mk III, isso consistia em um arranjo dipolo de uma asa para a outra, por meio da barbatana caudal. Seriam necessários três pontos de fixação, um em cada asa e um na cauda, ​​e eram feitos de haste de latão. Foi feito um corte na barbatana caudal com uma lâmina de bisturi, na qual um pedaço de haste de latão foi colocado com supercola, e um orifício foi feito em cada asa para os outros dois pontos de fixação. Depois de secas, usei o monofilamento elástico para as antenas propriamente ditas e este foi esticado entre os pontos de fixação, sendo mantido no lugar com super cola. O monofilamento que usei está disponível na Aeroclub e é muito útil para esse tipo de trabalho, bem como para içamento de biplanos. Uma das vantagens do uso do elástico é que se o modelo bater, as antenas não cairão no carpete, pois simplesmente se dobram e voltam à posição original. Este mesmo material foi usado para representar os fios de rigging no tailplane. Para fazer isso, um pequeno orifício foi feito através da aleta, no qual o monofilamento foi enfiado antes de ser esticado em reentrâncias pré-perfuradas nos tailplanes, para ser mantido no lugar usando mais super cola. O monofilamento para as antenas foi pintado com Humbrol Metalcote Steel e os fios do cordame foram pintados de prata fosca.

Agora que o modelo estava quase pronto, arrumei a pintura e curti um pouco com aquarela, que servia principalmente para destacar as juntas da superfície de controle, junto com esmaltes escovados secos. As rodas foram especialmente sujas, usando uma cor marrom lamacenta para representar as condições às vezes parecidas com pântanos que as unidades baseadas na Birmânia suportaram. Mais alguns respingos de lama foram adicionados à fuselagem traseira e o modelo estava completo.

Gostei muito deste kit e estou feliz por ter ido um pouco mais além, alterando as superfícies de controle e abrindo a porta. Montar a estrutura interna e prender as asas foram minhas principais preocupações ao iniciar o modelo, mas essas foram facilmente resolvidas e posso recomendar este kit de todo o coração. Esperançosamente, algum fabricante de resina empreendedor nos trará um conjunto de motor para a instalação Lycoming das outras marcas Auster, que eram mais difundidas do que o Mk III com motor principal Gypsy. Na verdade, como mencionado anteriormente, o Mk III só foi colocado em produção devido a uma potencial falta de motores Lycoming.

O protótipo Auster Mk III (topo) oferece um contraste interessante com o kit completo do Sword Auster Mk III. Na época desta fotografia, o LB319 não tinha recebido o vidro traseiro da cabine do piloto Mk III padrão. (superior Aerospace Publishing Ltd, inferior Tony O & # 8217Toole)

Pretendo construir mais alguns desses pequenos Austers, especialmente o exemplo Aussie com boca de tubarão e se uma instalação Lycoming aparecer, então isso abrirá o caminho para um belo Fleet Air Arm Auster Mk V. pintado de prata.

Detalhes do avião Tornado Mk 4A

Li com interesse o artigo de Trevor Glover & # 8217s sobre a construção de um Tornado GR. Mk 4A e gostaria de oferecer alguns comentários sobre a coisa real. Aeronaves pós-MLU não têm mais a área frontal do para-brisa pintada de preto. Uma vez que todas as aeronaves têm cockpits totalmente compatíveis com NVG, o interior da estrutura do canopy, a soleira da cabine e a caixa superior dos instrumentos da cabine traseira são pintados de preto (veja as fotos da cabine em anexo). Como o kit Revell é baseado no IDS Tornado alemão, as carenagens RWR montadas nas aletas são muito largas. Se você comparar a imagem da coisa real na página 318 com a do modelo na 319, verá que a largura da carenagem do modelo precisa ser reduzida. Isso ocorre porque a Luftwaffe usa um sistema diferente do RAF. Eu incluí mais fotos para mostrar outras diferenças entre o Tornado GR. Mk 1 e GR. Mk 4. Uma imagem mostra a entrada do intercooler embaixo da aeronave, que possui uma entrada maior do que a do GR. Mk 1 e agora tem buracos perfurados em sua passagem. A imagem final mostra a entrada do pré-resfriador na base da nadadeira. Isso também é maior do que no GR. Mk 1 e agora é semelhante ao do F. Mk 3. O escape na base da barbatana também aumentou de tamanho. Finalmente, no que diz respeito às lojas externas, infelizmente Trevor ajustou as lojas externas ao contrário e o # 8211 Sky Shadow só se encaixa no lado esquerdo da aeronave. As fotos do & # 8216U & # 8217 real no artigo mostram ele carregando um BOZ vivo à direita e um BOZ fictício (para lastro) à esquerda. Na foto da página 318 você pode ver a faixa azul ao redor do nariz do pod indicando que ele está inerte. Eu espero que você encontre esta informação útil.

Querido paul
Há muito que admiro as obras de arte de David Howley & # 8217s e sua excelente revista. Eu concordo com o Sr. Howley (edição de junho, 25/5) que a separação entre Extra Dark Sea Grey e Dark Slate Gray é dificilmente detectável em fotos monocromáticas. Acredito que a maioria dos Beaufighters nº 45 Sqn & # 8217s tinham a camuflagem Day Fighter padrão de Verde Escuro e Cinza Escuro do Mar, com superfície inferior Cinza do Mar Médio e uma faixa de fuselagem Sky (caça). A banda da fuselagem definitivamente não era branca, conforme afirmado no livro WgCmdr CG Jefford & # 8217s sobre a história do No. 45. Há uma foto de um No. 84 Sqn Beaufighter com a banda em Beaufighters in Action e isso mostra claramente que a banda é uma cor consideravelmente mais escura do que o branco. Quando os Beaufighters foram repintados e receberam roundels do pós-guerra & # 8216DType & # 8217, a faixa da fuselagem foi retirada.
Uma característica igualmente intrigante do No. 45 Sqn é a pintura dos spinners em seus Hornets. De acordo com Jefford, eles tinham bandas alternadas de Azul Escuro / Vermelho / Azul Escuro / Azul Pálido / Azul Escuro (de frente). Alguém sabe a razão para isso?

Querido paul
Tenho que questionar as descrições do atual esquema de cores RAF Jaguar, conforme fornecido em suas edições anteriores (maio, 25/3 e junho, 25/4). Você chama a cor da superfície inferior de Cinza Mar Médio e a cor da superfície superior de Cinza Escuro Camuflagem. Certamente as cores corretas são Dark Sea Grey (BS381C: 638) superfícies superiores com Dark Camouflage Gray (BS381C: 629) sobre o resto da fuselagem e # 8211 as mesmas tonalidades utilizadas pela Tornados GR. Mk 4s e Harrier GR. Mk 7s. Nenhuma dessas cores é igual a Grey Sea Médio ((BS381C: 637) ou Cinza Camuflagem ((BS381C: 638), sendo o primeiro utilizado na maioria das aeronaves da Marinha Real (Sea Harrier FA. Mk 2, Merlin, etc.). A última tonalidade, a incorporação BS381C da cor conhecida como Barley Grey, é usada no Tornado F. Mk 3s e como um acabamento ARTF na Operação Warden Harriers e Jaguars. Ambas as tonalidades são mais claras do que o cinza escuro de camuflagem.
Espero que você não pense nisso como pichação, mas acho importante que essas cores sejam descritas corretamente.

Agradecemos a Mike Ingham de Wantage, Oxfordshire, que também escreveu para nos contar sobre nosso erro com relação às cores de camuflagem do Jaguar nas edições de maio (25/3) e junho (25/4). Nossas desculpas por qualquer inconveniente causado aos leitores.

Guerra da Coréia Firefly FR. Mk 1

Querido paul
Além da fotografia citada por Davide Di Odoardo na edição de junho (25/4), a maioria das fotos do Firefly FR da Guerra da Coréia. Mk Is mostra a aeronave antes que as faixas de teatro sejam adicionadas. A única exceção a isso está na página 21 de The Korean Air War, de Dorr e Thompson, publicado pela Motorbooks International em 1994. Isso mostra um FR. O Mk 1 que infelizmente está em grande parte escondido por coberturas de lona sobre sua hélice, motor e cobertura da cabine, com a parte traseira da fuselagem fora de cena. No entanto, é claramente pintado no antigo esquema de Extra Dark Sea Grey / Dark Sea Grey / Sky, conforme ilustrado na série Warpaint. O arredondamento & # 8216C-Type & # 8217 na superfície superior está sobre as listras na superfície superior da asa. As listras são pintadas na parte externa da asa, conforme mostrado na página 11 do Warpaint No. 11, para a Marinha Real Australiana. As listras da fuselagem não são visíveis na fotografia, mas provavelmente é seguro presumir que elas eram semelhantes às do Seafire Mk 47s.
O número da aeronave nas capas da tela é & # 8216272 & # 8217 e o número de série na capa da hélice é VG978. A maioria dos Fireflys com serial VG foram convertidos para FR. Mk 4s, mas isso parece ser uma exceção.

Querido paul
Em relação aos comentários de Neil Robinson & # 8217s, na edição de maio (25/3) da minha revista de modelos favorita, sobre a duração dos desfiles de modelos, há uma série de fatores que acredito terem contribuído para o retorno do desfile de um dia, no Reino Unido, pelo menos. Estou interessado em modelos de ferrovias, bem como em aeromodelos, e faço os seguintes comentários com base em minha experiência.
Nossa última exposição de maquetes foi realizada na escola local. Para o aluguel de instalações escolares por dois dias e meio, o custo foi superior a £ 3.500. O salão cívico local estava pedindo uma taxa semelhante por suas instalações. Agora estamos planejando uma mudança para o salão da igreja, onde realizamos nossas reuniões regulares. Aqui, poderíamos fazer um show de um dia a um custo muito reduzido. Também realizamos um open day, gratuito ao público, para ajudar a atrair mais interesse para a nossa sociedade.
A montagem de qualquer exposição consome tempo e energia e, muitas vezes, parece que as mesmas pessoas assumem essa responsabilidade continuamente.
Além disso, a sociedade a que pertenço era, quando entrei pela primeira vez, a única sociedade ferroviária modelo a realizar uma exposição por quilômetros e, portanto, nossos eventos foram bem patrocinados e demos um show muito bom. Agora, no entanto, existem pelo menos seis outros programas em um raio de seis quilômetros e um tende a ver os mesmos layouts com mais frequência, de modo que seu impacto é menor. Tentamos trazer layouts de outras partes do país, mas a desvantagem disso é novamente o custo & # 8211 de combustível, acomodação, etc.
Por último, o tamanho do clube ou da sociedade tem um impacto sobre o quão grande ou ambicioso um show pode ser planejado. Clubes maiores podem oferecer mais em termos de instalações para espetáculos, porque têm mais recursos financeiros e mais mão de obra para realmente organizar e dirigir espetáculos.

Temas conectados: modelos tamiya, modelos aerodinâmicos, aeromodelos, aviões Taylorcraft, lojas de aeromodelos, aeromodelos voadores, modelos learjet.


Imagem de British Taylorcraft Auster - História

(Taylorcraft) Auster AOP

Embora os números da segunda série A tenham começado provisoriamente em 1935, o prefixo A11 da primeira série A permaneceu em uso até Southampton A11-2 ser retirado de serviço em 1939. Eventualmente, em 1944, A11 foi alocado para a British Taylorcraft Auster, Air Observation Post (AOP), série de aeronaves. Essas aeronaves são originárias do avião esportivo American Taylorcraft de 1938, construído na Inglaterra sob licença. Em 1946, a empresa britânica mudou seu nome para Auster Aircraft Ltd., e todos os modelos ingleses consequentemente tornaram-se conhecidos como aeronaves Auster Auster.

Os RAAF Auster AOP Mk IIIs, dos quais o A11-1 era originalmente um Mk II, foram atribuídos aos voos AOP No 16 e 17, e a história oficial & quotAir War Against Japan & quot descreve essas aeronaves em operação. Surpreendentemente, o volume também retrata A11-5 com marcas agressivas de dentes de quotsharks e aspas.

Nos anos do pós-guerra, Auster continuou a operar com o vôo No16 AOP até 24 de julho de 1959, quando A11-41 e A11-53 foram voados de Canberra para Tocumwal pelo Capitão Doyle e pelo Tenente Condestável, sendo este último o último piloto treinado por Auster antes da chegada de o Cessna 180As. Ao todo, 56 Mk III e dois Mk V Austers apareceram no registro RAAF.

Além disso, duas aeronaves Auster Mk 6 A11-200 e A11-201, acompanharam a Expedição Antártica de 1953/54, e o Sqn Ldr Leckie novamente usou o A11-201 na viagem 1955/56. Além disso, as aeronaves Auster J-5G Autocar da Marinha Real da Austrália carregavam o prefixo RAAF A11 e eram numeradas de A11-300.

DADOS TÉCNICOS
(Auster AOP Mk III)

DESCRIÇÃO: Dois assentos, estrutura composta de madeira e metal, forro de tecido.

CENTRAL ELÉTRICA: Um Cigano Major 1 de 130 hp DH.

DIMENSÕES: Vão, comprimento de 36 pés, altura de 23 pés 5ins, 8 pés.

PESOS: Vazio, 1100 lb carregado, 1.700 lb.

DESEMPENHO: Velocidade máxima, velocidade de cruzeiro de 130 mph, subida inicial de 108 mph, teto de 950 pés / min, alcance de 15.000 pés, 250 milhas.

Estatisticas : Mais de 35 milhões de visitantes da página desde 11 de novembro de 2002


Restaurações Taylorcraft Auster Mk.III

Ron e Stuart Lee, da Caboolture Qld, vêm adquirindo há algum tempo fuselagens e componentes do Auster Mk.III com o objetivo de restaurar vários exemplares da raça de volta ao registro australiano.

O Taylorcraft Auster foi uma aeronave militar britânica de observação e ligação produzida pela empresa Taylorcraft Airplanes (England) Limited durante a Segunda Guerra Mundial, o projeto sendo derivado do projeto da empresa Taylorcraft dos EUA modificado para os regulamentos do Reino Unido. O Auster III foi equipado com um motor de Havilland Gipsy Major e 470 foram construídos, servindo com a RAF e RAAF em muitos teatros da Segunda Guerra Mundial.

No pós-guerra, os Austers restantes na Austrália lentamente se aposentaram das forças armadas e formaram a base do florescente movimento da aviação civil na Austrália com outros tipos de excedentes, como o de Havilland DH.82 Tiger Moth.

Lenda da Restauração Warbird australiana, Ron Lee tem Auster Mk.III, série de fábrica c / n 455 ex RAF NX533 e depois Ex RAAF A11-48, VH-BVX registrado civil, VH-MBB em sua coleção desde 1977 e realizou algumas restaurações nela desde então. Recentemente, Stuart Lee, filho de Ron, adquiriu outra fuselagem, série de fábrica Auster Mk.III c / n 373 ex RAF NJ970, Ex RAAF A11-34, VH-BKK registrado civil, VH-CAJ, VH-DAJ, VH-DSJ. Ambas as fuselagens estão agora em Caboolture, Qld em armazenamento temporário, aguardando o início de sua restauração à condição de navegabilidade.

A11-34 e A11-48 faziam parte de um lote de 55 aeronaves Auster III adquiridas do Reino Unido durante a Segunda Guerra Mundial e ambos tinham serviço RAF antes de ingressar na RAAF. Alguns RAAF entregaram aeronaves Auster III servidas no Pacífico Sul durante as operações da Segunda Guerra Mundial, mas ambos os Austers permaneceram aqui na Austrália. It is interesting to note that in general, Australian delivered Austers had their engines removed in the UK and upon arrival were fitted with General Motors-Holden’s Ltd, Gipsy Major Series I, 4-Cylinder Inverted engines and coincidentally A11- 34 and A11-48 have engines that were serialed next to each other on the production line!. Therefore both of these machines are true “WWII Warbirds” in every sense and will make great additions to the scene when they are restored in the future and provide a great source of interest to future generations at displays and airshows in the future.

No decision has yet been taken on color schemes but given that both aircraft had careers in the UK and the RAAF it may be that one remains in RAAF finish and one in RAF scheme. Although both aircraft went on to have lengthy civil careers in Australia it is almost certain they will retain their military heritage finish.

Auster Mk.III, Factory serial c/n 455 ex RAF NX533 then Ex RAAF A11-48 History

Manufactured at Rearsby Aerodrome, Leicester by Taylorcraft Aeroplanes (England) Ltd to RAF order for 59 Auster Mk.IIIs serial ranges NX484 to NX545 in March 1943 its first flight was at Rearsby in the hands of pilot Geoff Edwards. On 25.6.43 the aircraft was taken on RAF charge as Auster Mk.III NX533. On 25.6.43 it was allocated to 659 Sqn, at RAF Firbeck, Notts and served there until 15.4.44 when it passed on to the famous Norwegian Spitfire Squadron 332 Sqn, of 132 Wing RAF. She remained with them until 24.8.44 when she moved on to 84 Group Support Unit and was allocated to 135 Wing. Then on 5.10.44 the aircraft rejoined 84 Group and remained with them until 5.3.45 when she was moved to Taylorcraft Aeroplanes, at Rearsby for major inspection before being sold to the RAAF on 12.4.45 minus engine. On 14.6.45 the Auster moved to RAF Maintenance Unit, High Ercall, Shropshire for dismantling and boxing and on 3.7.45 she was transported to Swansea Docks for shipping to Australia on 4.8.45 aboard the Tai Ping Yang as crated cargo. The Auster arrived in Sydney on 9.9.45 and on 4.10.45 she joined the RAAF as Auster Mk.3 A11-48 at 2 Air Depot (AD) Richmond and on 7.5.46 the aircraft was placed in storage Category B. On 19.12.47 the aircraft moved to No.2 Communications Squadron and on 7.9.50 it was issued to ARDU Trials Flight ex 34 (Communications) Sqn. She remained with ARDU until on 11.5.56 it passed on to Base Squadron Canberra and then on 11.5.57 the long serving Auster moved to 1AD Detachment B Tocumwal for storage. This was not quite the end for the Auster in the RAAF for on 24.2.58 the aircraft moved to 2AD for restoration from storage and it was allocated on 23.2.59 moved to Base Squadron Canberra. On 13.4.59 the Auster moved to 1AD Detachment B Tocumwal ex 16 AOP Flight for storage from where it was disposed of by tender on 4.11.59 and sold to Griffith Aero Club starting its civil career. On 14.4.60 the aircraft was registered as Auster III Model F VH-BVX to Griffith Aero Club, Griffith NSW and remained there until 3.1.62 when it was sold to Murray Border Flying Club, Cobram Victoria. She was based at the large former RAAF airfield at nearby Tocumwal NSW and re-registered VH-MBB, remaining there until 12.4.62 and was bought by Masling Aircraft Sales & Service, Cootamundra NSW who sold it on to B. L. Shoobert, of Balldale NSW.

On 14.8.63 the Auster changed hands again to W. T. Underwood, Pleasant View Station, Baradine NSW and stayed there until on 1.2.73 it was registered to L. Paul Backhouse, Moonya Station, Gulargambone NSW and moved again on 13.11.75 to Peter Moores, Canberra ACT by which time it was in unairworthy condition.

On 5.2.77 the aircraft was acquired by Donald A. Bunn, Albury NSW and struck off the civil register, moving by road from Canberra to Albury. The Auster did not remain long in Albury being aquuired by engineer Ron Lee and has remained with him ever since. Ron has moved several times over the years and the Auster has moved with him, now residing partially restored at Caboolture, Qld.

Auster Mk.III Factory c/n 373 ex RAF Serial NJ970 Ex RAAF serial A11-34

Australian Civil registration VH-BKK, VH-CAJ, VH-DAJ, VH-DSJ History

Manufactured at Rearsby Aerodrome, Leicester by Taylorcraft Aeroplanes (England) Ltd to RAF order for 338 Auster Mk.IIIs & Mk.Vs, serial range NJ609 to NK132 in April 1943. On 3.5.43 taken on RAF charge as Auster Mk.III NJ970 and on 3.5.43 the Auster was allocated to 20 Maintenance Unit (MU), Aston Down UK and then on 10.6.43 was issued to 658 Sqn RAF and served there until 20.6.44. She then moved back to 20 Maintenance Unit, Aston Down for storage ending its RAF career upon which it was sold to the RAAF minus engine on 15.1.45 and fully overhauled by Taylorcraft Aeroplanes, back at Rearsby and test flown on by test pilot G. Derbyshire. The Auster then moved to RAF 222 Maintenance Unit, High Ercall, Shropshire for dismantling and boxing on 27.2.45 and on 22.3.45 it was transported to Liverpool Docks for shipping on 9.4.45 as crated cargo on board SS Gloucester.

The Auster arrived in Sydney on 5.6.45 and was allocated to the RAAF as Auster Mk.3 A11-34 on16.6.45 at 2AD Richmond NSW. On 6.8.45 the Auster moved to School of Army Cooperation, Canberra where it served until 23.1.46 where upon it passed on to the Care & Maintenance Unit, Narrandera for storage from where it was received by No.16 AOP Flight on 21.11.46, passing on to Station HQ, Canberra on 14.7.47. The Auster was then loaned to the Department of Civil Aviation (DCA) on 21.10.47 and on 18.12.47 it was registered as Auster III Model F VH-BKK. In 1949 the Auster was re-registered as VH-CAJ as part of DCA changing all of its aircraft fleet into the VH-CA block. The Auster was based at Essendon Airport, Melbourne. On 24.4.61 the aircraft moved to the Tasmanian Aero Club, Launceston Tasmania with a change of registration to VH-DAJ. However she moved on again on 13.11.61 to Benson & Shaw, Melbourne Vic and remained with them until 6.5.65 when she was registered to J. Mann, Bannockburn Vic, later Carmut Victoria. Again on 8.9.66 the Auster moved to Tom Francis Motors, Hamilton Victoria with whom it remained until 13.10.69 when the aircraft was deregistered by its owner. The aircraft next appeared in 1973 when it was stored on a farm at Wannon, Victoria with new owners Mick and Audrey Forrest. On 8.1.80 Mick Forrest re-registered the Auster as VH-DSJ and it rejoined the register on 25.5.93.

The aircraft remained in service until approximately 2002 when it was sold again to a NSW owner D. W. Fletcher, Lambs Gully NSW. The aircraft then moved to Luskintyre NSW where it was recently purchased by Stuart Lee and moved to Caboolture in June 2017. In typical fashion the aircraft was recently retrieved in a marathon operation by Ron and Stuart Lee with the assistance of Noel Spalding.

Warbirds Online looks forward to hearing more about the restoration of these Auster Mk.III aircraft.


Auster IV - V /J-1 - J-5

The Auster was developed from a licence built version of the American Taylorcraft cabin monoplane. The Taylorcraft was created in the US, although the designer, C.Gilbert Taylor was originally from Nottingham. Taylor's original company had been acquired by William Piper, for whom he designedthe E-2 Cub. They parted company in 1935, and Taylor went on to form the Taylor-Young Aeroplane Co. which produced the Taylorcraft.

The initial British version, the Model Plus C which flew in May 1939, was an adaption of the American Model B. Around 20 had been sold when the war broke out. Fitted with a 90hp Cirrus Minor I in place of the original 55hp Lycoming O-145-A2, the aircraft was utilised by British forces for artillery observation. In 1941, in line with Ministry of Aircraft police, the aircraft was named 'Auster', the latin name for a warm southerly wind.

Utilised as a liason and reconaissance aircraft, the Auster Air Observation Post (AOP) underwent development and modification to enhance performance. The initial AOP.3 was upgraded to the 130hp Lycoming O-290-3 Mk.2, and the 130hp Gypsy M ajor 1 Mk.3 (which also introduced flaps). Changes were also made to the aircraft's structure to improve strength and pilot visibility, and add refinements like a tailwheel. The AOP.4 (or Model G) also used the 130hp Lycoming O-290-3. The 1944 AOP.5 (Model J) is considered the definative AOP Auster. This also featured a 130hp Lycoming O-290-3/1 engine and brought together the refinements of the earlier models. 790 of this model were eventually produced, and many survived onto the civil register.

Development did not cease however, and the AOP.6 appeared in May 1945. Again this had a stronger structure, as well as lengthened undercarriage and the more powerful Gypsy major 7 allowing an increased maximum weight. This aircraft was also fitted with floats and skis. A dual control version of the AOP.6 was designated the T.7, and one aircraft NZ1707 (described below) a T.7c was modified for Antarctic use. The final military variant which appeared in March 1954, was the AOP.9. This had an all metal contruction, and was powered by the 180hp Cirrus Bombardier engine. This served with the British, Indian, and South African forces. An AOP.11 prototype (featurning a 260hp Continental IO-470-D) was produced in 1961, but by that time its role had been taken over by helicopters, and it did not go into production.

In 1945 Auster Aircraft ltd was formed when the original Taylorcraft license expured. The company continued with development and production of the Auster. The 1946 J/1 Autocrat was a civilian version of the Auster Mk.5 incorporating a 100hp Cirrus Minor II engine and some cabin changes. The 'J' label follows the original company's internal designations. This was a three seater like the earlier AOP versions. In 1950 the J/1B Aiglet incorporated the more powerful 130hp Gypsy major 1, with a shorter undercarriage and larger tailfin and rudder. Some J/1's were later modified to J/1B, and some were factory altered. The 1956 J/1N Alpha is another J/1 conversion and is generally externally similar to the J/1B, apart from the addition of an oil cooler.

In 1946 a two seater, the Continental C75-12 powered J/2 Arrow was also produced. This lead to the 90hp Cirrus Minor powered J/4 Archer. The two seater was not as popular as the bigger 3-4 seat options, and only a limited number were produced. This amounted to 44 J/2, and only 26 J/4 aircraft.

The 4 seat J/5 Adventurer was introduced in 1947. This had the 130 hp Gypsy major 1 powerplant, and the nose was shortened to allow for a shift in the centre of gravity. This led to a reduction in the size of the fuel tank, and in some cases a slipper tank was slung under the fuselage. The undercarriage was lengthened to allow for the larger propeller required for the more powerful engine. In general these aircraft have the same fin as the J/1. In 1949 this was followed up by the J/5B Autocar with a larger rear cabin. The Autocar had the same powerplant and nose structure as the J/5 but added the larger tail ofthe J/1B and introduced wing tanks. Further Autocar variants were based on the powerplant fitted, with the 1951 J/5G having a 155hp Cirrus Major 3, the J/5H having a 145hp Cirrus Major 2, and the 1955 J/5P having a 145hp Gypsy major 10.

The 4 seat J/5F Aiglet Trainer follows from the J/1B (despite reports to the contrary) with the Gypsy Major 1 poweplant, a wider strengthened fuselage, clipped wings and improved ailerons - allowing it to be certified as fully aerobatic. Further models the J/5K and J/5L were again defined by powerplant. A further derivative, the Alpine (either the Gypsy Major powered J/5R or Gypsy major 1 powered J/5Q), used the J/1F fuselage and aileron control and the Autocars wing structure.

In 1960 the Auster Aircraft Co was bought out (along with Miles Aircraft) by Pressed Steel Co. and formed into the British Executive and General Aircraft (BEAGLE). BEAGLE in turn was bought out in 1966, and in 1968 the Auster rights were sold to Hampshire and Sussex Aviation.

New Zealand has featured both civil and military Austers. The RNZAF operated seven Auster aircraft (NZ1701-1707) in the period 1947-1969. Six J/5 aircraft were ordered in 1947, and fitted with locally procured Gipsy Major engines. The aircraft were used in a number of roles, including army-liason, and forestry patrol. One aircraft (NZ1701) was fitted for a time with with floats. A further aircraft, NZ1707, was purchased in 1956 for use with the Commonwealth Trans-Antarctic Expedition, and subsequently served on the ice until 1959. This aircraft was donated to MoTaT in 1966 following a crash in the Kaipara harbour while serving with 3SQN, but has subsequently been swapped back to be displayed in the RNZAF Museum. The other aircraft were sold or written off. The final aircraft (NZ1702) was withdrawn from service in 1969 and sold in 1970.

Four ex-RNZAF Austers survive:

  • NZ1701 was sold in 1956, being registered as ZK-BQL. This aircraft is currently airworthy in Marlborough.
  • NZ1702 was sold in 1970, being registered as ZK-DBU. This aircraft is currently at North Shore.
  • NZ1705 was sold overseas, and is currently in Australia
  • NZ1707 is displayed at the RNZAF museum.

The Auster has played a large part in New Zealand's post-war aviation development. Operators used the aircraft for passenger, freight, agricultural spraying and top-dressing), tourist and photographic work. The short strip capability allowed the aircraft to provide access to many remote areas. The aircraft has remained popular (particularly in the South Island) for farmers as a utility runabout. A number of civilian Austers continue to operate in New Zealand, as illustrated below. In addition, a number of ex-RAF AOP.5 and AOP.6 Auster aircraft have been imported. A rough list of New Zealand Austers can be found here.

One of the aircraft illustrated below (ZK-AUX) has a rather special history. Although it has never seen military service, it has operated from not one, but two aircraft carriers. Built in 1946, the aircraft was purchased by the Temple Press, publishers of 'Aeroplane' magazine, and registered as G-AERO. Utilised as the office 'hack', the aircraft in the course of its duties was flown aboard HMS Illustrious in 1946, and then aboard HMCS Magnificent in 1948. After ending its duties with the magazine, the aircraft was subsequently imported to New Zealand, where it was operated by the owners of Wanganui Aerowork for some years. The aircraft moved to the South Island where it had several owners before moving North again in 1983. ZK-AUX was operated by the Vintage AeroClub who purchased the aircraft in 1989, and based in Hamilton until 1999. Unfortunately late in 1999 the aircraft was in an accident departing from Russ Ward's strip at Mercer and seriously damaged. The aircraft was tendered by the insurance company,and is know in storage, hopefully awaiting restoration.

Last Text Update:- 22 May, 2001
Last Picture Update:- 2 December, 2002


Do Guia do Graces

Auster Aircraft Limited was a British aircraft manufacturer, of Thurmaston, then Rearsby, Leicestershire.

1938 The company began at the Britannia Works, Thurmaston near Leicester as Taylorcraft Aeroplanes, making light observation aircraft designed by the Taylorcraft Aircraft Corporation of America.

WWII: 1604 high-wing Taylorcraft Auster monoplanes were built during World War II for the armed forces of the UK and Canada.

1946 The company name was changed to Auster on 7 March 1946, when production shifted to Rearsby aerodrome, also in Leicestershire.

All designs were evolved from the early Taylorcraft with a sprung skid or tailwheel beneath the fin (except for a low-wing aircraft called the "Agricola" designed for crop-spraying only two of these were completed).

1960 The company was acquired by Pressed Steel Co and merged into the new Beagle Aircraft Ώ] . After this the Auster high-wing design was developed still further as the Terrier and, with a nosewheel, the Airedale.


The Auster Autocar – a postwar British classic

I must freely confess that I love Austers &ndash yes, bring on the welded steel tubes and fine Irish linen! For a number of years, my professional life was bound up with the study of the history and preservation of the breed, as I worked for Leicestershire Museums, Art Galleries and Records Service, and we held a fine Taylorcraft/Auster collection, including the then-flying Autocrat, G-AGOH (since retired, and a museum exhibit). Leicestershire is the ancestral home of the Auster, with the British Taylorcraft Company Ltd having been formed there, and the very first Plus &lsquoC&rsquo model being built locally in a disused osier shed.

The various Marks of Auster gave great service to the Allied cause during WW2, and with the coming of peace, the company changed its name to the Auster Aircraft Company Ltd. to reflect the Service name of its best product. The firm was looking to capitalize on returning Servicemen, some of whom wanted to continue flying for pleasure, as well as those who wanted to start an aviation-based business.

The three-seat Auster J/1 Autocrat had been launched in the immediate aftermath of WW2, but the company quickly realized that their aircraft needed more range, more internal room and more power. By 1949, the company had devised a new four-seat tourer, the Auster J/5B Autocar. They had used the Autocrat&rsquos wing, but added wing root tanks (for a total of 32 gallons), heel brakes, and a bulged fuselage roof, which neatly met the perspex behind the trailing edge of the wing and gave headroom for the two passengers in the rear. To counteract the increased fuselage area aft of the wing, a much larger fin with a horn-balanced rudder was fitted. There was &ndash of course &ndash the traditional Auster welded steel tube construction, covered by doped Irish linen. Power came from the ever-reliable de Havilland Gipsy Major 1 of 130 hp, driving a Fairey metal propeller. Construction was rushed, so that certification could be completed by 3rd August, 1949, just in time for the company Chief Test Pilot, the famous Ranald Porteous, to display the prototype at that year&rsquos SBAC Show at Farnborough.

&lsquoFlight&rsquo magazine like the new aircraft, particularly its economy &ndash they reported 6 1/2 gallons per hour at 110 mph cruise, giving a range of 485 miles. Top speed was 127 mph, and the magazine&rsquos reviewer liked the fact that the engine was equipped with an effective silencer. The list price (1949 Sterling) was given as 1,500.

Although the Gipsy Major&rsquos power was adequate for temperate conditions, it was decided to offer more power for export customers, particularly those in &lsquohot and high&rsquo situations, and those companies who wished to use the Autocar as a crop-spraying aircraft (with a tank in the rear passenger space), such as Pest Control Ltd, who ordered a batch of five for crop-dusting and pest control for use with their operation in the Sudan. Hence the arrival of the J/5G (Cirrus Major 3 &ndash 155 hp) and the J/5V (Lycoming O-320 &ndash 160 hp). Some UK operators &ndash Southend Flying School, Southend-on-Sea and Bee&rsquos Flight Ltd, Sandown, Isle of Wight &ndash used the Autocar to give 1&rsquo000s of holidaymakers short pleasure flights. Production finally ceased in 1958, after a total of 180 Autocars had been built.

Here we see a lovely Autocar, a J/5V 160, G-AOIY, construction number 3199, fitted with a Lycoming O-320-BC of 160 hp. Originally built in 1956 as a J/5G with a Cirrus Major 3 (one of 92 of that sub-type), it has been converted to the O-320, not just for the little bit of extra power, but because of the much easier engine spares situation. At the time this photograph was taken, India Yankee was picketed securely against an oncoming storm front. Mr Roger Benson was the then owner, but who was to say that Austers lead staid lives, for he soon after sold India Yankee abroad (in October, 2010) to a group of Finnish pilots! Not only that, but when OH-AUM (as she became) flew into her new home in the Mediaeval city of Porvoo &ndash about 30 miles east of the capital of Helsinki &ndash a radical change took place. She was fitted with floats, to become a seaplane! The new owners, Seppo Kuhvuori, Arto Wiikari, and Matti Sorsa have kept the aircraft&rsquos former white/red colour scheme, as it matches a float-equipped Piper Cub that they also own. Uniform Mike will have a grand life exploring the many bays and inlets on the Baltic sea coast, as well as the rivers and tens of thousands of lakes which are scattered across Finland. A truly exciting prospect.


Picture of British Taylorcraft Auster - History

Taylorcraft Aviation was an American airplane manufacturer that has been producing aircraft for more than seventy years in several locations.

The designer, Clarence Gilbert Taylor, a self-taught aeronautical engineer from Nottingham, England, can be called the father of private aviation in America, as he designed the original Taylor Cub in 1931 at Bradford, Pennsylvania. Taylor, along with his brother Gordon, formed Taylor Brothers Aircraft Corporation - slogan "Buy Your Airplane Taylor Made" - in Rochester, New York in 1926, offering a two-seat high-winged monoplane called the "Chummy", priced at $4,000. The Chummy failed to sell, and after Gordon died flying another Taylor design in 1928, Clarence moved to Bradford, Pennsylvania, where the townsfolk had offered him a new factory at the local airfield plus $50,000 to invest in the company. One of the investors was William Thomas Piper, who had made his money from oil wells. Taylor shared with Piper a dream of making airplanes as common as cars for Americans. After continuing with the Chummy for a time, Taylor abandoned the design and began work on a new inexpensive aircraft to compete with the heavier craft common at the time. A battle between engineer and businessman caused a rift between the two. Piper took advantage of Taylor's absence during an illness, and instructed Taylor's junior engineer Walter Jamouneau to modify the Cub to be more attractive and marketable. Taylor returned from his illness and left the company.

Taylor vowed to build a personal aircraft superior to the Cub. Taylor formed his own company in 1935 as Taylor Aircraft Company, renamed Taylorcraft Aviation Corporation in 1939. Meanwhile, a disastrous factory fire brought production of the Cub J-2 to a halt, and Piper bought the company out. It was placed back in production as the Piper J-3 Cub, becoming the iconic aircraft of general aviation in the 1930s and 1940s. Taylor operated out of a new facility in nearby Lock Haven, Pennsylvania.

In 1936 Taylor rented facilities at Pittsburgh-Butler Airport and first manufactured the "Taylorcraft" plane.

During WWII, light aircraft were used for training, liaison, and observation purposes. Taylorcraft's DCO-65 model was called the L-2 by the United States Army Air Forces and served alongside the military version of the Piper Cub in WW2. Taylorcraft Aeroplanes Ltd., a subsidiary based in Thurmaston, Leicestershire, England, developed the Taylorcraft Model 'D' and the Auster Mk. I through Mk. V, which became the backbone aircraft of the British AOP (Air Observation Post) and the three Canadian AOP squadrons, No. 664 Squadron RCAF, No. 665 Squadron RCAF, and No. 666 Squadron RCAF .

Taylorcraft Inc

In the fall of 1946 production was halted following a fire in the Taylorcraft factory at Alliance, Ohio and the company went into bankruptcy. In 1949 C.G. Taylor bought the assets from the former company, and started a new company Taylorcraft, Inc. at Conway, Pennsylvania. The company restarted production of the BC-12D Traveller and the BC-12-85D Sportsman. The company produced few aircraft and the type certificates were sold to Univair and production was halted.

Taylorcraft Aviation Corporation

In 1971 the Taylorcraft Aviation Corporation, owned by Charles Feris put the Model 19 back into production as the F-19 Sportsman and added the F-21 model. Feris died in 1976 and the production continued at a low rate until 1985. Charles Ruckle bought the company in 1985 and he moved the operation to Lock Haven, Pennsylvania, where the company produced 16 aircraft before it went bankrupt in 1986 and the company was offered for sale.

Polychron & O'Rielly ownership

John Polychron, former CEO of Del Monte Foods purchased Taylorcraft and operated it for approximately one year until he sold it to Philadelphia Attorney Phillip O'Rielly. O'Rielly never reopened and the company became deeply in debt resulting in a Sheriff's sale in 1996.

Booth ownership

Taylorcraft was saved from extinction by Lee Booth, a former Marine and an engineer from Seaford Delaware. Booth renamed the Company Booth-Taylorcraft Aerospace, Inc. Booth-Taylorcraft Aerospace paid all creditors in full and relocated the entire company in 88 53 ft long truck trailers to Greensboro, North Carolina.

Booth, as Chairman and President, directed the Corporation through an extensive recertification of all type certificates, engineering, FAA audits up to the Aircraft Certification Office level, production procedures, complete re-tooling and certification of tooling and work processes. Booth enlisted the assistance of Darrell C. Romick, former Chief Engineer of Taylorcraft Airplane Company and BF Goodrich. Romick was a close associate of Werner von Braun and worked for Goodyear Aircraft in the 1950s.

Booth-Taylorcraft Aerospace, Inc became a contractor to numerous governments for military aircraft, weapons systems and firearms. Booth was the first Taylorcraft owner in the company's history to keep the company debt free the entire time he operated it. In March 2000, Booth formed a strategic partnership by selling half of the Civil Aircraft Division to Harvey Patrick of Pats, Inc. Booth retained all military items, UAVs, several type certificates, designs and patents. The Small Aircraft Division was moved to Georgetown, Delaware at the Sussex County Airport. Booth and Patrick then formed Taylorcraft 2000, LLC and served as Co-chairmen. Booth eventually sold his half to Harvey Patrick and Taylorcraft 2000, LLC was owned by the Harvey and Vera Patrick Foundation. In 2003 The Harvey and Vera Patrick Foundation sold the company to Harry Ingram, with 100% financing.

The current owner, Harry Ingram, moved the plant to La Grange, Texas in 2003 and on April 25, 2005 it was announced that the factory was moving again to Brownsville, Texas and outsourcing the labor.

2008 Repossession

On February 21, 2008 the company was repossessed by its former owner, Taylorcraft 2000 LLC. The previous owners had taken orders for new struts for existing aircraft to alleviate a repetitive inspection Airworthiness Directive and is delivering struts to customers. The design's type certificates, drawings, jigs, templates and parts have been put up for sale.


Assista o vídeo: AUSTER AOP 5 (Junho 2022).